Help! Need advice with sick chick.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by toetoe, Sep 6, 2010.

1. toetoe

toetoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Ferndale
    I came on here yesterday about a 20 day old chick that was not doing well. I had been told it might be coccidia.
    The thing is that the chick has been like this for more then 5 days and there is no sign of blood in the poop and none of the 9 chicks or 16 chickens are showing signs of anything.

Last night at sun set it was doing better so I left it with it's mom.
    This morning when I went to feed my flock I found it laying on its side in the hen house not moving but when I picked it up it started to peep but was real cold.
    I tucked it up into my fleece coat and brought it in the house to warm.
    It was moving around and peeping but when I put it down it just fell over.
    I got a eye dropper and some cooked oatmeal, it drank and eat very little but it take in some. I put it into a clean 10 gallon fish tank with a electric heating pad covered with news paper and a face cloth. The pad only takes up half of the tank so there is one side that is not heated and there I put water and some chick feed, hard boiled egg and cooked oatmeal.

It is now standing, peeping, has moved from the heating pad to the unheated area and then back to the pad.
    It dose walk but with a little wobbly walk.
    It has been taking water from the eye dropper and oatmeal off my finger.
    I have not seen it take from the bowls that I have set out yet.
    It's feathers are still all puffed up.
    I have placed it in a room that is dark and quiet for the past 5 hours and it has been sleeping and peeping.
    It has pooped twice in this time and no blood in poop, it looks normal.

Here is my question...I'm I doing everything right?
    The pad is staying at 72 F...is this to cold?
    Do I need to give it more light?
    Now that I have taken it away from the flock and it's mother, when and if it gets better can I give it back to the mom. If not then how long till I can return it to the flock?

I will send the pics that I put on the other post when I was told it might have coccidia.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am hoping someone can put a light on my situation.
    Thank you.

2. birdicus7

birdicus7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Coatesville, PA
    Lets start simple before we assume diseases....First off the chicks should start out at about 95 degrees and drop 5 degrees per week until you get to normal temps or they fully feather out. I would give the chick some Poly Vi Sol infant drops WITHOUT Iron. You can find them in the baby supplies at most stores. (It's made by Enfamil) Second I would place it in a large box with a heat lamp, fresh water and mix a little plain yogurt with your chick starter and put it in too. Give the chick enough area to get away from the heat lamp if it wants to.
    It can regulate it's own temperature by getting close to the lamp if it wants. Some chicks just need a little extra time to get it together....

3. toetoe

Aug 3, 2009
    Ferndale
    OK, the chick is 21 days old so I have lifted the temp, I don't have a heat lamp that is why I am using a heating pad.
    I can't drive because of my resent surgery so getting Poly Vi Sol infant drops WITHOUT Iron I can't do. I have no way of getting there. The only vitamins I have is the ones I give my 10 year old. (gummy flintstone )
    I do have yogurt and can do the chick feed. The heat pad only uses up 1/2 of the tank so the other half is without heat.

4. toetoe

Aug 3, 2009
    Ferndale
    Chick did not make it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by