Help! Need advice!

Tam78

Chirping
Feb 13, 2021
Oklahoma
I just found 2 duck eggs in my pond. Don't know how old they are, but the pond is just about thawed out from the weather we have been having. Guessing water temp around 40 degrees??? Is there any chance that they could be fertilized and still hatchible?​

I have read else where on here that if the eggs are on the bottom and it's side that they are fresh. Both of these were laying on bottom of pond on side

If you've seen ducks on this newly thawed pond then sure, they could be fresh eggs and might hatch. My thought is they rolled in the water from last year. The flaw in reasoning the eggs are fresh as they are sunk in bottom of water is there is no way for the egg to loose moisture and float if it's submerged in water.

If you've seen ducks on this newly thawed pond then sure, they could be fresh eggs and might hatch. My thought is they rolled in the water from last year. The flaw in reasoning the eggs are fresh as they are sunk in bottom of water is there is no way for the egg to loose moisture and float if it's submerged in water.
Oh. No. They aren't from last year. Our ducks are like rebellious teenagers. We try to put them in their coop at night but they always fight us on it and usually win. They will run to the pond where we can't get them. Our pond is huge so we can't get them out if they refuse, but last night they went in their coop pretty much on their own. So I am hoping for some eggs this morning!

OMG!!! We cheated and candlelight the eggs. One of the eggs has a beating heart!! The other one just had a dark spot. Didn't see any movement, but we put them both back into the incubator ASAP. So happy!!!!

Back
Top Bottom