Help! Need advice!

Farmlife16

Songster
Aug 12, 2021
So my broody hen has been sitting almost 2 weeks (1 week in her new nesting area). In the beginning she was very good at keeping her nest clean, but I just checked on her nest and their is poop and of course dirty eggs. What should I do? Is it really the end of the world if the eggs get dirty? How have you dealt with this?

So my broody hen has been sitting almost 2 weeks (1 week in her new nesting area). In the beginning she was very good at keeping her nest clean, but I just checked on her nest and their is poop and of course dirty eggs. What should I do? Is it really the end of the world if the eggs get dirty? How have you dealt with this?
It shouldn't be terrible because the eggs have a bloom on them to keep bacteria out.... If she seems like she doesn't care for them and is loosing interest, then you might have to incubate and / or hand raise them. You can run the đź’© off but don't wash them

It shouldn't be terrible because the eggs have a bloom on them to keep bacteria out.... If she seems like she doesn't care for them and is loosing interest, then you might have to incubate and / or hand raise them. You can run the đź’© off but don't wash them
She's very broody, but she is just making her nest messy. I have her inside a small plastic container inside a large dog kennel for protection. I think I might need to position her nest so that she has more room to poop in the dog kennel. Can space be an issue? She doesn't really come off the nest often at all and when she does it's only for 2min (She drinks) and then she's back to her nest.

I think I might need to position her nest so that she has more room to poop in the dog kennel. Can space be an issue?
Yes.

There should be enough space for the feed/water to far enough from the nest so she has to get up to eat and drink....and then more space to poop away from nest/feed/water.

Back
Top Bottom