HELP - NEED ANSWER ASAP! Nanna sitting on hatching goslings!!

echix

Songster
12 Years
Apr 18, 2007
TEXAS
They are hatching - it's our first hatch so excited both ganders are sitting beside her she is on the nest - I peeked from the side in there she was standing up and rolling them around and there was one half way out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I almost died -- the ganders squawked and I skat!

She is sitting tight on the nest now and the ganders are sitting in there with her ---- it is getting dark.

Can she SMOTHER that hatching gosling if she is sitting on it??? What about the guys - usually I lock her in her coop and they go in the goose barn. Do I lock them all in there tonight together -- they won't hurt the goslings will they???

WHAT DO I DO -- IT'S GETTING DARK AND NEED SUGGESTIONS -- WORRIED ABOUT HER SMOTHERING THAT ONE THAT WAS HALFWAY OUT AND SHE IS SITTING ON A STRAW NEST 9 EGGS LEFT....

PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE ANYONE WITH SUGGESTION OR EXPERIENCES..... I WON'T SLEEP TONIGHT.

Last week I had three geese sitting in a dog kennel on a nest of eggs. I was worried about the same exact thing...I noticed the ganders in this group of 7 were standing guard at the entrance of the dog kennel - which is in a barn stall. I lock the barn down every night. The next morning - I had two beautiful baby goslings standing in the very front of the kennel with the ganders watching over them while the geese continued to sit on the remaining eggs. They were the only two that hatched and all 7 adults within this group watch over them like you can't believe! I didn't think anything was going to hatch so I had ordered a pair of Roman Tufted from John Metzer and as luck would have it they arrived the very same day the two babies hatched. I put the two shipped RT babies from Metzer in with this group and they were adopted immediately. Now, we have a very happy family group of 11!

I think you should just relax and let nature take it course. Geese are wonderful parenst and they have strong family instincts. I think you're baby will be just fine. Keep us posted.

Best Regards,
Joni

Last edited:
WHEW - THANK GOD SOME ADVICE........... anyone else?

I went ahead and locked Clyde and Louie (he's the daddy but not very intelligent - Clyde is younger and is the TOTAL MAN
love.gif
- if he were a human he's be the perfect man!) locked both in with Nanna on the nest and said goodnight.

Here's something interesting......
yuckyuck.gif

They are all Toulouse. Bonnie is Embden - I got her for Clyde but Nanna was his mate originally and Louie took her over - he started this whole geese thing for us when he wandered into our yard and the neighbor said he was going to give him to feed store and so I took him in... not knowing what to do at all!!!

Anyhooo... Clyde has been working Nanna on nest in and out and feed and water and turn eggs and fluff/straighten nest and WHILE he has been walking Bonnie Around getting her fattened up eating with her showing her grass while she laid her eggs over the last MONTH 11 eggs - while Nanna was setting on her nest which started a month ago.

BONNIE SET UP ON HER NEST THIS MORNING - BROODY. DIDN'T MOVE ALL DAY. IT'S HER TIME.
wee.gif
The SAME DAY Nanna has decided to hatch.
ya.gif

He has timed this perfectly
love.gif
-- he can work with Nanna/Babbies while Bonnie sits and it's the same routine all reversed! Nanna's will be a month when Bonnie's hatch!

How about THAT!!!
thumbsup.gif

Anyway, guys are locked in with Nanna hatching tonight and Bonnie is locked in on her nest sitting tight ------ I will NOT sleep tonight.
barnie.gif

Did I mention I have a wireless baby monitor out there pointing at the goose coop so if a predator comes up or they honk an attack I'm out the door and JW is right behind me with a double barrel sawed off shotgun....
old.gif
won't shoot anything probably but still. It happened at 3:18 am last night! LOL!!! Must have been FALSE LABOR PAINS from Nanna!
th.gif

Like a kid at Christmas -- -I can NOT wait until MORNING!!!
caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom