HELP NEED GOOSE EXPERT OR ANYONE

speedabug

Songster
11 Years
Apr 5, 2008
I was just given 2 African geese eggs. The guy who has given them to me could not hold them in the incubator. He had them under a light for 2 days and he turned them often. I have put them in the incubator it is at 99.5 degrees. I have no idea what to do when they hatch,what to feed them,when can I put them outside. Ive only raised chickens not geese. I have heard about someone on BYC who has experiance with geese, if you know who this is please tell me are tell him to come to this post. So if anyone can help me PLEASE DO IT....
barnie.gif

Last edited:
I have only hatched 2 batches of geese. The first time 2 weeks ago with 3 of 4 eggs hatching and this past week with 2 of 3 hatching - so here goes.

In the babtor - forced air - Temps at 99.5 - 100F. Humidity at 60%-65% for Day #1 - #25.

Day 26 raise the humidity to 85% and wait for the hatch. It can go 28 - 35 days.

The eggs must be sprinkled daily and given a 15 minute cool down time.

After 7 - 9 days in your incubator candle them. You should see veins and signs of embryo movement.

Good luck with your hatch.

So them being under a light for 2 days didnt hurt them? What do you mean the eggs need to be sprinkled everyday? Can you answer my other questions?

I have no idea if being under a light for 2 days hurt them. All you can do is incubate them and look for veins and the signs of a growing embryo. How long was the time between moving them from his light to putting them in your incubator?

Every day the eggs need to be turned 3 - 5 times to exercise the embryos and keep them from sticking.

Geese are waterfowl. They geese hens are wet and muddy. The eggs in your incubator need to be sprinkled with water every single day. Take a sterile spray bottle and fill it with some warm water. Spray the eggs with the water every day at the same time. Leave the incubator open for 15 minutes or so while you do this. The eggs must have a cooling off period for the embryoes to continue developing.

Geese are herbavores. They eat vegetation. When they hatch start them on NON-medicated chick starter. After about a week introduce them to fresh green grass along with their feed. Geese are grazing animals and love fresh grass and weeds.

They are just as fragile as chicks. You need to keep them in a brooder for several weeks. They don't need as much intense heat for as long as chicks do but they do need it. Keep them warm and fed. For very short periods let them splash and play in some water. Make sure they can get in and out so they don't tire and drown. They need the water to be deep enough that they can clear their nostrils.

Chick feeders don't work very well as they need to scoop their food to eat it.

I can't think of anything else right off. Just ask if you have other questions.

Thanks so much MissPrissy that is really going to help. I was wondering if you have ever raised peacocks im in that situation to.

Back
Top Bottom