Help - Need info on guineas fighting predator birds

bryan99705

Songster
11 Years
May 16, 2011
North Pole, Alaska 99705
I'm fighting a Raven problem and someone suggested guineas as a possible solution. My experience with guineas is limited and I've never seen them fight a predator bird. I know they're great watch animals and death on snakes but what about a fight with a bird bigger than themself?

I havent seen my guineas do squat. I was hoping they'd chase the squirrels away - but no. I was hoping they'd chase the sparrows from the feeder - nope! All they do is chirp, squeak, and scream.

I'm pretty sure all they'd do is complain loudly about a raven, but probably start to ignore it when they become accustomed to seeing them around.

The most a Guinea can do is chase them in to flight. If the unwanted bird lands again right away the Guineas will go after it again.

I've watched mine chase crows for years, now they have the dogs trained to chase the crows off too. Not seen a lot around here is the blue heron, they'll chase it off. There was a pair of vultures in our side field that the Guineas saw and went after them. The Canada Geese that hang out are allowed most of the time. Makes me wonder if the Guineas realize I keep the dogs from chasing them and have learned to leave them be.

A single Guinea generally does not take on a foreign being, its usually done with several back up birds or the entire flock.

Back
Top Bottom