Help, need input Re: baby ducks and outdoor temps

Riverbear

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 3, 2014
Hi everybody! So here it is...I have six ducklings (rouens and pekins) that are about 5 weeks old, they are getting to big for the brooder and I could frankly use the brooder space to split up my chicks as they are growing quickly too. I have built them an enclosure with a raised cedar house, filled the house with about 4 inches of pine straw and a brooding light. My concern is that although it is in the 50-60 degree range during the day, we are still getting some pretty cold nights high twenties and low thirties. The ducklings are fledging out well...do you think they will be ok? Thank you in advance!

What kind of temps are the used to? I gradually weaned mine off of the heat light by about 4-5 we weeks. They did well in the brooder in my garage when it was down in the 40's. I would think that they'll be fine with the heat in their house. I'd just make sure there is no chance of a fire from the light.

The pole barn is at 60 F right now and I have for the most part removed the light, I am sure they will be fine on the warmer nights...just don't want them to suffer when it drops down below 36. Thank you very much!

Back
Top Bottom