Help need to build an incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Oklahoma Lightning, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Oklahoma Lightning

Oklahoma Lightning Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Twin Oaks
    I need help with design and what I need to build this incubator.
    I saw a picture of an end table that was a cats hideout. So, the wheels started turning. I want it to be 28 inches tall,32 inches deep and 24 inches wide. I got a couple of cabinet doors to put on the front. And I have a whole sheet of cabinet grade plywood.
    So, can someone help me from there?
    Can I put an inner door on with a handle on the outside to turn the eggs? Then fold the handle down and shut the outer door?
    I got two computer fans somewhere around here.
    Got pipe for turner
    What else do I need to find around here a old lamp and a 12 V charger?

2. selinagil

selinagil Chillin' With My Peeps

3. selinagil

4. selinagil

5. Oklahoma Lightning

Mar 3, 2009
    Twin Oaks
    Cool I have lots of cabinets we got to resale, they new and lots of doors so I am going hunting out in the shop tomorrow.
    Thanks for the links.[​IMG]

6. Oklahoma Lightning

Mar 3, 2009
    Twin Oaks
    Ok looks like I got a lot of what I need.
    Here the list
    Supplies Used:

* One large Styrofoam cooler
    Using cabinet
    Have * One 115 volt comput
    * 4-5 inch toggle bolts to attach the fan and set it out from the wall of the bator)
    * Scrap heavy plastic from a disposible container (used as sort of washers so the bolts for the fan and the thermostat didn't pull through the Styrofoam)
    * One wafer thermostat (used a 4 inch machine screw instead of the threaded key that came with it due to the thickness of the Styrofoam walls)
    Can I use something different here?
    Have * One porcelin lighbulb fixture with shallow metal (round) electrical box
    * A plastic screw on connector to connect the light junction box to the pvc conduit (don't know what it is called)
    Got get * 10-15 feet of white half inch PVC (schedule 40) pipe
    * Assorted half inch PVC elbows, 4 way connectors, and T connectors for the turner and conduit.
    Have * A couple of plastic junction boxes
    * About 2 or 3 yards of black and red 12 gauge wire (to connect the components to each other)

Have
    * About 12 inches or so of 12 gauge extension cord wire (goes from the male plug outside to the junction box inside near the thermostat)
    * Male plug for the 12 gauge extension cord wire
    A rick might work
    * A short piece of wire shelving for the bottom (to make a level bottom--the conduit ran accross the bottom underneath)
    Have * Small 1/2 cup sized cup and a larger TV dinner tray (used underneath the wire bottom for humidity)
    * Foil lasagna pan lined with non-skid shelf liner (for a hatching tray)
    * Two 18 count Styrofoam egg cartons (for the turner)
    * Hot glue (for attaching the turning trays to the turner)
    Have * Two pieces of plexiglass (donated by the local glass shop)
    Have* Duct tape (to keep the plexiglass in place and use when my kids wouldn't stop telling me how to do this)
    Have * Caulk (didn't stick the best to Styrofoam and I would probably omit this step next time)
    * Small funnel (an old medicine bottle with an appropriate sized hole drilled in the bottom would work as well).
    Would O2 tubing work?
    * Clear flexible plastic tubing (buy in hardware stores by the foot--don't get the smallest diameter available)
    * Foil
    * Peanut butterjar filled with water (for a heat sink)
    * Blood, sweat, and tears (not really) and probably something else I will remember the second I get this page set up.

7. selinagil

Holy Moly!!! If you want you could make a second one and just send it my way....... [​IMG]

8. Oklahoma Lightning

Mar 3, 2009
    Twin Oaks
    Ok I picked up two computer fans today for $3.00 total

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by