help need with broilers

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bluep, Nov 15, 2012.

1. bluep

bluep Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2011
    hi i my ross cobbs got dirty bums and all there skin looks red and sore and on the breast as they dont seem to have many fathers. if i kill them like this will the skin still look sore and red when dressed.i do clean them out every day as the do make a mess.they sleep on the floor of the coop on straw as they to big to roost any help please.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    If they have dirty bums, they have diarrhea. Add some yogurt to their drinking water and that will help to get their intestinal problems under control.

I don't know about butchering with the sore looking skin, because mine haven't been that way on the breast. Since it is not something that I have heard any complaints about, I suspect that once they are butchered and bled out they will look OK. Really, you have to butcher them, sore breast skin or not. I's not like you can keep a flock of them as pets.

If there is a patch of skin that doesn't look right after the birds have been bled and soaked in ice water to chill, you can always trim that bit off. But I suspect it will be OK. Come back after your birds are in the freezer and let us know what happened.

3. bluep

bluep Out Of The Brooder

Sep 8, 2011
    thanks for your help i do put apple cider vinegar in there water ill let you know how i get on thanks

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I can only see the red skin on one bird, and only just a bit of it, but what I can see looks normal to me. Your birds look fine to me. In fact, they look quite nice. Try the yogurt and see if that firms up their stools a bit. That should get rid of the dirty bum problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by