HELP NEEDED CHICK SHRINK WRAPPED?

love2grinchicke

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 5, 2013
Virginia
So, we have a broody. One of her chicks came out, no problem, and he's doing fine.
her other egg, though, has had problems. She pipped, and then began zipping, turned again, and has now zipped/cracked the whole egg. But she can't get out, and the membrane is totally dried out.

She's trying to get out, but I don't know what to do to help her, or even if I should.

HELP PLEASE

So, we have a broody. One of her chicks came out, no problem, and he's doing fine.
her other egg, though, has had problems. She pipped, and then began zipping, turned again, and has now zipped/cracked the whole egg. But she can't get out, and the membrane is totally dried out.

She's trying to get out, but I don't know what to do to help her, or even if I should.

HELP PLEASE
I am the last person in the world that will help a chick, but when one has come that far then dries out, I figure chances are good that it was healthy enough to hatch in the proper conditions. I have had this, and there are people that will take more measures than me, but what I did was slowly roll the dried part of the membrane away from the chicks head. It could be dried and stuck to the chick, and that is the only thing keeping it from hatching. You can even peel some of the shell away from the membrane so the chick doesn't have so much to break through to kick free. I made it as easy as I could for the chick to kick out on it's own, but I didn't remove it totally from the egg. I want them to make the last push on their own. Good luck!

Last edited:
I have had a similar situation. I have finished the hatch on about four of my chicks. When shrink wrapping happens, I get warm water on a paper towel and drip water on the dried membrane. Especially since your chick has zipped, she is ready to come out! I also peel the membrane myself. As long as there is no bleeding, I have fully hatched a few chicks. Use your intuition. Your chick will realize you are helping and join in. They usually do the last push out. If she is still attached to the yolk sac, wrap her in a damp paper towel, head exposed and put her and the remaining yolk beneath the broody to finish absorbing.

Of the four chicks I have hatched, they are all now happy, healthy egg layers:)

Good luck! Keep us updated!

So, update on the chick.

I took her from underneath the broody, picked off the shell that was there, and dampened the membrane enough for me to help her pull out. She kicked the shell off herself, and she appears fine now.

Her butt is still a little raw, it looks like, and it bled a little.

She is now back under the broody, and appears to be fine.

So, update on the chick.

I took her from underneath the broody, picked off the shell that was there, and dampened the membrane enough for me to help her pull out. She kicked the shell off herself, and she appears fine now.

Her butt is still a little raw, it looks like, and it bled a little.

She is now back under the broody, and appears to be fine.
thumbsup.gif

So, Jeff as my brothers named her, is now doing great!

We're dealing with another chick whose real momma tried to eat her, and so she's now being fostered under Jeff's mother hen.

Back
Top Bottom