Help needed. Chicken run issues.

Beakadoodle

Chirping
Aug 28, 2021
We are having issues with a muddy run and where the run frame once touched the ground it has now been dug out by the chickens. I'm looking for solutions and what to do. I have included pictures.

I'm not sure what to use to fill in the spots where it is deteriorating. I am scared to use sand because I've heard it can get hard as a rock with runs that are not covered. Help and suggestions would be very appreciated. I want to get this fixed before winter so we don't have worse issues in the spring. We live Michigan so the winter will be harsh and spring is very wet and muddy.

Attachments

• 20220827_100500.jpg
    20220827_100500.jpg
    769.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 20220827_100455.jpg
    20220827_100455.jpg
    878.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220827_100452.jpg
    20220827_100452.jpg
    795.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220827_100436.jpg
    20220827_100436.jpg
    863 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220827_100429.jpg
    20220827_100429.jpg
    791.5 KB · Views: 7
To stop the hens from digging under the run put logs, rocks, or pavers just inside the walls.

As for the mud, are you using any sort of litter in the run?

Any dry organic material should help, but coarse wood chips -- the sort you get from a tree-trimming service -- are often considered the gold standard for the control of mud and odor. :)

x2 all of the above. I use branches, bricks and rocks to deter my girls from digging along the fence.

coop8.jpg

You need to think about a litter plan, or that mud is only going to get worse and stinkier. Deep litter and sand are probably the 2 most popular options, with the former being ideal for muddy runs IMO. You can see how wet my run is in the photo above but it's not muddy, not sticky or foul smelling, and it's surface dry to easily walk on.

Any drainage issue at the run location? No matter what litter you choose, you will not get good results unless drainage is addressed first.

More photos
x2 all of the above. I use branches, bricks and rocks to deter my girls from digging along the fence.

View attachment 3238300

You need to think about a litter plan, or that mud is only going to get worse and stinkier. Deep litter and sand are probably the 2 most popular options, with the former being ideal for muddy runs IMO. You can see how wet my run is in the photo above but it's not muddy, not sticky or foul smelling, and it's surface dry to easily walk on.

Any drainage issue at the run location? No matter what litter you choose, you will not get good results unless drainage is addressed first.

View attachment 3238300

Our run is not as bad as it was this spring. We had a good 2 inches of mud. In a panic to get a quick and temporary fix, I emptied their coop bedding, (we were using deep litter method through the winter), into the run which was mostly straw and some pine shavings. That helped temporarily. However the pine shavings make the run smell.

There is a slope to our run that goes to the coop. It tends to be muddier on the higher side though. We have high clay in our soil which I am guessing is causing the drainage issues.

I was leaning towards wood chips, but we are still trying to find some in our area. I didn't know if I should try putting in dirt to fill in the spots that have been dug out or if that would just add to more mud issues.

Attachments

• 20220827_100527.jpg
    20220827_100527.jpg
    910.6 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220827_100520.jpg
    20220827_100520.jpg
    691.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220827_100511.jpg
    20220827_100511.jpg
    787.3 KB · Views: 4
I emptied their coop bedding, (we were using deep litter method through the winter), into the run which was mostly straw and some pine shavings. That helped temporarily. However the pine shavings make the run smell.

There is a slope to our run that goes to the coop. It tends to be muddier on the higher side though. We have high clay in our soil which I am guessing is causing the drainage issues.

I was leaning towards wood chips, but we are still trying to find some in our area. I didn't know if I should try putting in dirt to fill in the spots that have been dug out or if that would just add to more mud issues.

If the mix you added was strictly shavings and straw, the issue there is that both can pack down along with poop when wet and create an anaerobic environment. The reason why chunky wood chips are an ideal base material for deep litter is it allows for both drainage and aeration.

For chips, you can try looking into chipdrop or contact local tree companies, though results may be mixed based on how tree companies work on your area (in my neck of the woods, chips are free and endless). Otherwise if neither is an option, or you don't have room for a whole pile, contact a landscaping supply or check garden/home stores to see if they sell undyed mulch, bark chunks, etc.

Filling the holes with dirt should be fine, but I'd look into what can be done to improve drainage, whether that's adding drains or diverting water around the coop and run, since it sounds like the soil itself doesn't drain well.

I line the inside of my run with blocks pavers scrap 4x4s logs etc. I would fill holes the pack those along fence and until you can find chips get some bigger shavings at farm store to add to soil or bark and mulch as aart said. Chickens are amazing little excavators for sure. My husband tosses dirt to one side of run and 4 days later it's all back and then some against fence and gate.
Oh I also lined outside of run with cinder blocks just in case.
PXL_20220506_221010538.jpg

Back
Top Bottom