Help needed! Chickens not drinking water!

kimbirder

In the Brooder
Feb 22, 2023
Ever since the weather got hot our chickens are not drinking near as much as they used to.

We have nine chickens all about 14 weeks old. They have been drinking consistently out of a 1 gallon poultry waterer just fine.

But the past few days. It's be hotter (80's) and they have not been drinking much at all. I check on them and they are all panting like they or hot.

I added a full four cups 4 cups of ice to the waterer and they still don't seem to be drinking.

Should I be concerned? How can I get them to drink more water. I was under the impression that they would drink water if they needed it even if the water was hot but maybe this is not true.

Any suggestion or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Keeping their water cool is a good start. Chickens are typically pretty good at regulating their own temps—panting is one of the ways they do this through. Personally, I wouldn’t really worry about temps in the 80s, chickens are pretty robust. Make sure they have access to some sort of dust bath in the shade, that’s another way they are able to let off heat. Treats like watermelons or cucumbers are also a good source of hydration.

But the past few days. It's be hotter (80's) and they have not been drinking much at all. I check on them and they are all panting like they or hot.
Are they drinking less than usual? Or are they drinking the usual amount?

If they are drinking the usual amount, they might be fine.

If they are drinking less than usual, there might be something wrong.

Is the waterer in the sun? If so, you might move it into the shade. That way they will not have to stand in the sun to drink.

Thanks for all your advice.

Yes, I change the water every morning. The water is in the shade. Their entire coop and run are in the pretty much in full shade with some morning sun.

I will continue to put frozen ice or frozen water bottle in their fresh water.

Last week they were going through a whole gallon a day. I went out just now on the have only drank about 2 cups for the whole day! But the weather is cooler it's down to 78. And they are not panting. they seem happy and health.

I don't know... It just worries me cuz it seems they're drinking less, which seems off.

Attachments

• PXL_20230510_130922745.jpg
    PXL_20230510_130922745.jpg
    957.6 KB · Views: 8
Last week they were going through a whole gallon a day.
That sounds like a lot of water for 9 chickens, age 14 weeks.

Is there any chance it was leaking out? Maybe the waterer was sitting at an angle, or some bedding was acting like a wick to let the water drip out?

I went out just now on the have only drank about 2 cups for the whole day! But the weather is cooler it's down to 78. And they are not panting. they seem happy and health.

I don't know... It just worries me cuz it seems they're drinking less, which seems off.
Yes, that is a very big difference.

I don't know what to say-- chickens usually drink the amount of water they need, but that big a change does sound quite odd.

Have you been giving them any kind of moist treats? Something like watermelon could provide a lot of water, so they would not need to drink as much from the waterer.

I float a frozen bottle of water in my waterer, also sometimes add some ice, put a frozen jug or two in the run they can rest or lean on if they want to and sometimes put out frozen watermelon or such but be careful with to much fruit, it can cause runny poo. If there is no breeze and its really hot/humid, I put a fan on them. In areas that it's really dry some people say a mister works well. We've had a few really hot spells so far this year and those things seemed to keep them happy. As far as the amount of water, if the waterer isn't leaking then that sounds odd cause they usually drink more water in hot weather not less.

Chickens don't like hot water. Make sure their water source is in the shade, and replace it daily. On really hot days I put ice in their water. (Yep, they're spoiled)
I have to do ice and sometimes a sprinkler just to let them have a way to cool down…. I live on the S Texas border… and we are having 113° temps average because of dew points of 70+. It’s insufferable for even us humans! It’s all about keeping birds alive at the moment even if we do t do anything else in the heat.

Watermelon, any kind of melon is a huge favorite as well…. Blue berries are excellent too if kept chilled beforehand.

Back
Top Bottom