• Lethargy, content to sit in a nesting box all day
  • Unable to walk or painful to walk
  • Tight abdomen - feels like a tight water balloon
  • Was not eating regular food and had bile-like poo
  • Now eating small amounts of sweet potato and drinking water
  • No poo in 2 days.
  • Laying more on one side of her keelbone
  • No pasty butt
I am unsure of her immediate laying history as she is one of 15 hens. The distended abdomen has me concerned as there are so many things it could be.

Thanks in advance,
Indy

If her abdomen is squishy and full like a water balloon, she likely has ascites or egg yolk peritonitis (EYP) - an infection that has liquid in her belly. EYP is when yolks from her ovaries don't go down the typical path and end up in her internal cavity, where they can get infected. You can search the forums for more info but it is not a good situation. No poo in 2 days is extremely bad - that means something is really stopped up. She could also have cancer - I had a girl with ovarian cancer, and it eventually spread to her digestive system and she was pooping, but with small poops because of the impaction. If an infection, and you want to treat, antibiotics could help at least in the short run - EYP typically kills a hen in the long run, but mine who had that lived a year after antibiotic treatment and was fairly content. Cancer of course is cancer. She sounds very very sick in any case and if you don't want to treat, you should consider culling her so she is not in pain.

Many thanks! She is on Cephalexin right now (second day of the course) but showing now sign of recovering. I will do more research on the two things you suggest. I had ruled out ascites as it seems to impact broilers more than rare/heritage breeds.

Indy

Ascites can happen in any bird, the fluid is usually from a liver that is failing or struggling and it can accompany many other conditions, it is a symptom of something else. It often happens with reproductive problems, infections, cancer, or internal laying, also fatty liver disease or a failing heart. The possibilities are numerous. Once the body begins to struggle, the liver often can't keep up with all the strains on the body and internal organs. If the abdomen feels hard, rather than fluid like, then it could be internal laying, salpingitis or cancer. Either way, the prognosis is usually poor once there is abdominal bloating. I'm so sorry. :hugs

I will drain and see where this goes. If she dies, I will send her to our local vet school for a necropsy. It would be good to know the root cause.

Thanks to all the BYCers who share their knowledge!

I have a 3 year old Java who is obviously not well. Here are her symptoms:
  • Lethargy, content to sit in a nesting box all day
  • Unable to walk or painful to walk
  • Tight abdomen - feels like a tight water balloon
  • Was not eating regular food and had bile-like poo
  • Now eating small amounts of sweet potato and drinking water
  • No poo in 2 days.
  • Laying more on one side of her keelbone
  • No pasty butt
I am unsure of her immediate laying history as she is one of 15 hens. The distended abdomen has me concerned as there are so many things it could be.

Thanks in advance,
Indy

To me it's seems like a reproductive Infection or problem that causing this taking to vet will be the best option

Back
Top Bottom