Help needed: hen making a distressing sound

I can't listen to the video right now but wheezing often indicates an upper respiratory infection. Taking her to a vet to prescribe antibiotics is often the easiest way of fixing her up, though sometimes you can acquire antibiotics for livestock online or in stores.

She trying to learn people talk?

Is some of that on the inhale? Almost sounds like she's talking around something or is hoarse. How does the back of her throat look 'in the mouth'? Color ok? No swelling or signs of infection?

Any changes in behavior or labored breathing? Nares(nose) is clear of mucus?

It sounds like stridor, which is a partial obstruction of the airway. I also heard a cough or sneeze at least once, maybe just trying to clear it. Sometimes stridor is just from a bit of feed or something that gets caught in the airway and it will resolve on its own. If it persists, or there is discharge from the nares, beak or eyes, then it could be a respiratory infection. In that case, vet care would be able to test and tell you which one, there are several. I would see how she is tomorrow, see if it clears up. I've also had a couple of birds do this when they got overheated and it would resolve once they cooled off.

She trying to learn people talk?

Is some of that on the inhale? Almost sounds like she's talking around something or is hoarse. How does the back of her throat look 'in the mouth'? Color ok? No swelling or signs of infection?

Any changes in behavior or labored breathing? Nares(nose) is clear of mucus?
Throat looks okay. Color looks normal and I haven’t seen any discharge. It seems to be on the inhale, yes. Not all of it but some. She is acting normal and eating normal.
It sounds like stridor, which is a partial obstruction of the airway. I also heard a cough or sneeze at least once, maybe just trying to clear it. Sometimes stridor is just from a bit of feed or something that gets caught in the airway and it will resolve on its own. If it persists, or there is discharge from the nares, beak or eyes, then it could be a respiratory infection. In that case, vet care would be able to test and tell you which one, there are several. I would see how she is tomorrow, see if it clears up. I've also had a couple of birds do this when they got overheated and it would resolve once they cooled off.
She hadn’t been coughing before today. We did lay down new wood chips/ mulch in the run. Could that be it?
I’ve never heard my chickens make this noise before so I was worried. I couldn’t find any noise like it that lead me to a conclusion. But I had read that since it came on suddenly it could be an obstruction in her airway. That it should clear on its own. I was just worried about a possible infection as you, and others, mentioned. It’s winter here so she’s not hot but thank you for the heads up about that possibility.

Chickens get into all sorts of things, anything new they either hide from or get right in the middle of. So new shavings, maybe. I have one hen that does this just about everytime she eats. I guess she's a pig and literally inhales her feed. Once she's done eating, it stops. Most of the time it sounds worse than it is. She may very well be just fine in the morning.

Throat looks okay. Color looks normal and I haven’t seen any discharge. It seems to be on the inhale, yes. Not all of it but some. She is acting normal and eating normal.

She hadn’t been coughing before today. We did lay down new wood chips/ mulch in the run. Could that be it?
I’ve never heard my chickens make this noise before so I was worried. I couldn’t find any noise like it that lead me to a conclusion. But I had read that since it came on suddenly it could be an obstruction in her airway. That it should clear on its own. I was just worried about a possible infection as you, and others, mentioned. It’s winter here so she’s not hot but thank you for the heads up about that possibility.
Just keep an eye on her for now, I suppose.

Be on the lookout for changes in her activity level or comb color - particularly if it starts to look a bit blue, which could indicate she's struggling to breathe.

I'm guessing her trachea (at the base of the tongue) looked clear? Opening\closing along with her breathing? It's a big hole - maybe a bit of food went down the wrong way or the pine dust is aggravating her airways...

Back
Top Bottom