Help needed Identifying 2 chicks

goosemama

Songster
10 Years
Jul 11, 2009
Forestville, New York
Received two surprise chicks with an April MM order. I can't send photos so hope some of you will recognize their coloring and help me to identifying them. One is pure black with a puff of white feathers on his head - kine of like a Silky but am confused with his body black and the topknot white. The other has now turned white with black feather tips on the tail and the face and neck is all black. Does anyone have any ideas?

Just a shot in the dark here but it sounds like a white crested black Polish and a Lakenvelder. Pics would really help though. I'm assuming the one with the white crest is clean legged???

Ak Countrygrrl - your guess seems to me right on the mark!!! I looked up website photos of the white crested black polish and the Lakenvelder and they look like my two chicks! Say, you know your chickens!!! Thanks for the help, I was going crazy trying to figure out what they were.

Ditto to the white crested black polish.

We have one that is about a year old now. We LOVE her. She is super smart (for a chicken:). And she is at the top of the pecking order - but not through aggression - because she is truly a little leader and protector. I hope you enjoy yours as much as we love ours.

In fact, she (Carly) is my avatar!

Last edited:
Quote:
Happy to be of help. I've owned/shown chickens off and on throughout my life and am in the process of building a hatchery. I want to breed my birds with the APA standards in mind and try to get some of these breeds that have been commercialized back to what the standard calls for. I also want to be able to provide the exhibitors up here with nice, competitive exhibition birds that are Alaska hardy. To that end, I've researched a lot of breeds and have tried different breeds throughout the years to see how they'd do. Since I got most of them as chicks, I'm passingly familiar with what different breeds look like (until you get into all of the "chipmunk" marked babies,
big_smile.png
). I absolutely love the crested breeds particularly the white crested black and white crested blue Polish (really want some black crested white Polish one of these days). Good luck with your chicks. You know, we'd still love to see pics. Can never look at too many chick pics...
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom