HELP needed...PLEASE!!

chickenbrained

Hatching
5 Years
Jun 26, 2014
Okay...here's the deal. I have 2 game hens of some kind (given to me, so I don't know the breed). They are Thelma and Louise. Thelma hatched 4 chicks on Aug. 23rd.

Louise was sitting on a nest, so on Sept. 2nd I moved Thelma and her chicks to the ground and put Louise in the upper cage. She hatched 4 chicks 4 days ago (on the 8th). On the 9th while I was replacing the water dish Louise somehow got past me and flew out, down to the bottom with Thelma and her chicks! Of course they started fighting...chicks running everywhere! I caught Louise and put her back with her chicks. However, since then Thelma has turned on her chicks! Pecking them hard and relentlessly! I finally put her out of the nursery this morning. Her chicks will be 3 weeks old in 2 days. We're having our first "cold spell" over the next 5 days. The overnight temps will be in the upper 50's and lower 60's. The nursery is all enclosed except for the door. Do I need to put a light on them?

That’s a hard one. I think they would probably be OK but if you can without starting a fire, I’d put a light in one corner they can go to if they want to. It won’t hurt and it might be a lifesaver.

OMG! Love the names!
lau.gif
As ridgerunner said, that's a hard question. If the temp. doesn't drop too low, you might be able to get by without heat. At the 3rd week, chicks should have heat around 75F - so the suggestion of a light is a good one, make sure there are no draughts over the chicks and if you can't add a light, use more bedding so they can dig in.

Thanks guys! I have a small metal dog cage that I covered with window screen. (I used that until hubby had time to completely snake-proof the nursery.)

It's on the ground with the chicks and they do go in and out of it. If hubby isn't comfortable with putting a light in there I can add more hay and lock the chicks in it at night.

Back
Top Bottom