Help needed urgently for Splash Silkie hatching

Rosy Starling

Chirping
Jun 16, 2020
I have 9 out of 10 Splash Silkies in varying states of hatch but I had one that had not pipped today (Day 21) No peeping, so I took off air cell which was large, he is still breathing with active blood vessels. However, he/she is upside down with no way to get air. What can be done? I have tried candling the pointy end to see if I can make out anything that end but I cannot see anything. I am left with an egg half unpeeled to internal membrane with active veins and a chick that is breathing. I really want to help and am experienced with helping chicks successfully but this one is beyond my experience. Does anyone have any experience with this? Currently he is back in incubator. I think this is a difficult one to help.

Attachments

• IMG_7285.jpg
    IMG_7285.jpg
    508.2 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I have pierced a tiny hole in the membrane away from all the major veins to allow some air in. He/She is still breathing but his breaths are becoming steadily shallower as the hours pass.

I have pierced a tiny hole in the membrane away from all the major veins to allow some air in. He/She is still breathing but his breaths are becoming steadily shallower as the hours pass.
All the other are fluffy and healthy in the brooder except this one and 2 others that are unzipping in another incubator.

UPDATE: Embro had stopped breathing so I did an eggtopsy and found a formed chick but without the top part of its beak. It was positioned in a way where it could never have pipped. Sad but I do have 9 healthy baby Silkies tweeting from under the brooder :D I will post a photo later today.

I'm glad you have 9 healthy baby Silkies!
Sorry about the little one but it would have been special needs and probably would have died after you got really attached to it.

Back
Top Bottom