Help needed with young rooster

Thanks for all the suggestions. We’ve separated him, but he gets to visit the rest of the flock through the walls of their run all day until it’s their turn to free range, and we put him back in his temporary pen in the garage (until the new coop is delivered).

He seems to have calmed down generally. Less crowing, and calm behaviors as he socializes through the fence. He has free access to the forest, but will spend the entire day just on the other side of the run wall as his hens. He’ll sunbathe in the same shaft of light as the girls and eat his treats at the same time they get theirs.

The hen he targeted is comfortable again in the coop and run, fully integrated back into flock. All the girls are harmonious again with each other. Next step is seeing how things go with supervised free ranging of him and all the hens at the same time.

I’m not convinced yet that he is a rotten roo, but if that becomes apparent, we won’t hesitate to keep him separate for the rest of his life, make him a house rooster, rehome him or cull him if need be.

You don't have a location in your profile, so I don't know if this is helpful, but if your rooster doesn't settle down I'm in western Pennsylvania and I have an extra bielefelder rooster or two that will be a year old in March.
I have 4 with 21 hens, and so far they get along with each other, the hens, and me without any issues.
Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom