Help........never had baby goats b4

ronshoney

Songster
12 Years
Nov 7, 2007
Algonac, Michigan
I have a mini-nubian I thought got bred in August .... guess not... anyway today I noticed her milk bag is filling. Any idea on how long and should I move her from being with the herd and if so when?

is the udder rock hard? if so it'll be within 12 hours or so, i'm in a different situation, i took 2 weeks vacation to be with the goats when they kid so i have all day to watch them, i do separate right before labor starts some people don't, i like to let my girls bond with the babies for a day or so before i let them back out with the others, goats are brats and will try to fool you, good luck, oh my girls have been baging up for a few weeks now s you may have awhile to go
smile.png

If its just starting to udder up it will be wither a few weeks or a few days. Some fill faster than others and some fill that day during labor. I personally would watch for mucus and if she is having contractions. They dont like to be by themselves till time to deliver. I would just keep a eye on her and you can also tell as the hoohoo will start to swell and elongate. Also check her ligaments that will tell you alot too. But it sounds like you have a while.

no it's not rock hard yet and I think it is just starting to fill. I figured I would move her into her own space when she goes into labor. We have a 8'x5' stall set up in the garage for her and the baby. Thanks for the responses..... at least I have some idea and I can keep an eye on her for the most part.

Another reason for moving them to their birthing area early is to allow the mom to build up resistance to any bacteria in that particular area so she can pass the protection along to the babies. She might also want a friend to be in there with her to keep her calm.
Good Luck!

I could move her and one of the other ones and put the other one back when the baby comes. How long before would you move them to get used to the area??

I would go ahead and move her now. Good idea about moving the other goat back when she has her babies. She will have the kids to keep her company and busy then. Unless it's really cold there, then you could keep her friend with her for a while to help keep the babies warm. I had 2 pygmy gals together. One bred and one not, at night and during nap time the babies would lay down between the two of them and keep really warm.

Back
Top Bottom