Help new chick

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by dsabouri, Sep 11, 2016.

1. dsabouri

dsabouri New Egg

Aug 25, 2016
    I woke up and have 1 new chick ! But I'm afraid if I don't separate it the other chickens in the coop will kill it? Is this true or should I let it be with momma? She is sitting on eggs still but oy 1 so far!
    I do have a great chick set up but not for full grown birds only for chicks but normally have more then one when I buy them at the store!
    What do I do with this little line chick??
    Thanks Danielle

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Danielle, and :welcome. Happy you joined us! To be safe I'd put the baby chick in a brooder so it wouldn't get injured or killed by the adult birds.

3. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

X's 2 on what redsoxs said!

4. Sandra M

Sandra M New Egg

I started all this falling in love with chickens when I bought two adult hens (Rosie and Lucy) for my eight year old daughter. After a few months they hatched one chick and then two chicks - these last two (boy who went to a small-holding and is having fun with his ladies and Rachel) were abandoned but their mother (Rosie) did not attack the singleton chick (Penelope). I've just hatched two new chicks (one is very poorly) and they are being reared by two chickens and the chicks (Ebony and Ivory) really don't mind which bottom to slide under. The original 'bad mother' is not a very good aunty but no harm done. In order to replace the boy we got a same aged chick (Lou Lou) and everyone lives in harmony - except for Lou Lou who tragically died a couple of months ago - my daughter and I are still grieving! If it were me I would risk the chick being with its mother.

5. CuzChickens

CuzChickens CountryChick

Apr 24, 2016
    Virginia
    Welcome to Backyard chickens dsabouri!! I hope you enjoy it and the camaraderie here and everybody that goes nuts over chickens (me being one of them....) Have fun! And ask questions! I would put the chick in the brooder. I feel like that would be safest for the little one. And congratulations on a successful hatch! Did you know you had a broody?

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

8. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

Welcome to BYC! It's great to have you.

It's always ideal to separate any broodies and their chicks. I've had hens and chicks badly injured and killed after leaving them in the flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by