Help! New chicken owner

Thank you for your replies. I contacted the seller who I brought them from, she said if it was a cockerel it would be crowing now, because they are 35 weeks old. When I purchased them 2 weeks ago, I was told they were 28 weeks old. This one is much taller than the others and has a much larger cone.

I don't want to sound dumb, but can someone also tell me why some of the feathers look scraggy on the winds and tail?

Really? Well you are the best with Silkies, but I think I see streamers 🤷‍♀️
Well I always say I am pretty sure and not 100%. I am wrong sometimes, too!
At 30 weeks I would expect significant streamers. I have had a few pullets with streamers, but they are much shorter than a males. Threw me at first!
At 30 weeks, I would expect a much more male body shape and visible saddle feathers, but these are really hard to see in a silkie. The OPs birds body shape looks female to me.

Thank you for your replies. I contacted the seller who I brought them from, she said if it was a cockerel it would be crowing now, because they are 35 weeks old. When I purchased them 2 weeks ago, I was told they were 28 weeks old. This one is much taller than the others and has a much larger cone.

I don't want to sound dumb, but can someone also tell me why some of the feathers look scraggy on the winds and tail?
No such thing a dumb question here on BYC!😊
Silkies can have some hard feathering in their tails and wings, very common. It is preferred that they have very little hard feathering.

Back
Top Bottom