Help! New chicks arrive tomorrow... older chickens w/ cocci!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickenchok, Apr 21, 2009.

1. chickenchok

chickenchok Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2008
    North Carolina
    I have a new batch of chicks arriving tomorrow. But yesterday I think one of my chickens just died of cocci. I'm treating the other seemingly healthy w/ what I could find locally (liquid sulfa-nox). Do I treat the new chicks right away too? They will be exposed to the same soil as the other chickens soon. Do I wait and treat them until I'm ready to let them try out the grass? I have a small tractor to let the chicks be for short periods during the warm days. But the label on the sulfa-nox says not to treat continually... to treat for 2-3 days, then skip 3 days, then give 2 more days.

Please help!

2. DiVon80

DiVon80 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Pearl River,Louisiana
    I would keep them seperated! Put them on medicated food. I always use at least 1 bag of the medicated food.

3. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I always start my chicks on medicated feed. I know Cocci is in the soil here. I almost lost my Dolly when she was a baby.

At 8-9 weeks old I start mixing their starter with grains and eventually layer to 'wean' their immune systems off the medicated starter. By 15-16 weeks old they are completely off starter. This allows them to build up a resistance to the Cocci here.

Matt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by