HELP!! new guy with wyandottes

robnms

Songster
12 Years
Jul 9, 2010
Gulf Coast MS
I just started raising some chicks for my granddaughter and I bought some pullets or at least that is what I was told but I'm not too sure. I have a buff and 2 wyandottes. They're about 17 weeks old and they look more like roos to me, niether one of them crow and they lay around on the floor of the coop often and another thing. I've noticed some feathers on the coop floor, do I need to put a nesting box in it, HELP.

62656_img00146.jpg

62656_img00147.jpg

62656_img00149.jpg

62656_img00150.jpg

62656_img00153.jpg

62656_img00157.jpg

62656_img00129.jpg

62656_img00137.jpg

62656_img00141.jpg

62656_img00132.jpg

not wyandottes, blanking out on that breed's name right now. I couldn't say if they are roo's as I am not familiar with that breed. Mine started crowing at about 12 weeks old, but I think it helps that I have roosters crowing all day around here.

Those look like delawares... i may be wrong, but yup, I think you have some delawares, not wyandottes.
smile.png

i'm not very good at distinguishing genders, but the delaware pullets i've had had combs that were larger than the others. those combs do look pretty big though...
hu.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Mmmmhhhhh....first - Welcome to BYC! Nice of you to get the chooks for your granddaughter! Not the expert here, got my Wyandottes (chickens in general) less than 15 months ago....The chooks in your picture are not Wyandottes to my knowledge. As far as I know Wyandottes only come with a peacomb, not single comb. One pic is nice (single chicken, clear side shot) looks like a pullet. Unsure of the other one but leaning toward cockerel, no idea on the buff, too fuzzy in the pic. I think you have either Columbian Rocks or Delawares but I am not convinced re the Delawares. Also, I would def. put up a nestbox, at 17 weeks you are getting close to POL and maybe you also want to place a golfball or ceramic or wooden egg in the nest to encourage them to lay there. Hopefully someone with better eyes/knowledge can clarify. It may also help to post a clearer pic of each bird that shows a side view to check on feathering
smile.png

They are not wyandottes....wyandottes should have rose combs altho it is not uncommon for hatchery birds to have single combs. I agree that you've got what are probably 2 Delaware cockerals.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response,

When I bought them I was told they were colombian wyandottes and I'll try to post side shots of each in a minute.

Back
Top Bottom