Help! New to Rabbits and we have a dirty nose! Pictures!!

LearningChicken

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 23, 2013
California
Hello!!! I am new to rabbits and need some help from an experienced rabbit lover!!

I rescued 3 rabbits (I think they are lionhead but I really have not clue!) they are TINY!!! Two fit in the palm of my hand maybe 5 inches long at most! The other is a little bigger maybe 8 inches. The feed store had no clue about them and even told me things that without any bunny knowledge I knew was WRONG! When I saw them at the feed store they were in a huge barn that was FREEZING (41F) and drafty!! There were in an all wire cage with bedding or corner to huddle in and get warm!
rant.gif

Since they are SO TINY, I looked online and think that they are 3 - 4 weeks old. However, you guys are always so amazing and I thought I would ask your opinion! Take a look at the pictures and let me know what you think!

Anyways on with my story, there was no mommy bunny in sight and I felt that they would die if I didn't take them home. I have no bunny cage, only a temporary home while we build their palace. So welcome to the family!
hugs.gif

I noticed that one tiny bunny has some stuff on her/his nose. I thought maybe it was cold in that place and that caused it so I cleaned it off with a warm cottonball yesterday. To my disappointment, it is back. (I have no place to separate the baby to so even though I understand I should quarantine it, I can't. I was NOT prepared for bunnies!!!)

I researched everything I could and I'm thinking snuffles but many of the classic symptoms are not there. There is no sneezing, no labored breathing, and totally clean paws. All 3 are a bit lethargic but I am thinking that they should have mommy bunny milk still! Also is snuffles contagious to other animals? Cat, Dog, Cow, Pig, Chickens, Turkeys, People? I can't afford to take them to the vet that cost $65 for just the visit so any ideas would be wonderful. I did put a tiny bit of ACV in their water.

This is in my 10 yr olds daughter's lap

Next to my daughters hand

Dirty Nose Pictures:

Bunny 1 (older bunny nothing really there)

Bunny 2(little stuff on nose)

Bunny 3 (This is the one i'm worried most about)

Thank you for your help!!!!!!!!

Hello!!! I am new to rabbits and need some help from an experienced rabbit lover!!

I rescued 3 rabbits (I think they are lionhead but I really have not clue!) they are TINY!!! Two fit in the palm of my hand maybe 5 inches long at most! The other is a little bigger maybe 8 inches. The feed store had no clue about them and even told me things that without any bunny knowledge I knew was WRONG! When I saw them at the feed store they were in a huge barn that was FREEZING (41F) and drafty!! There were in an all wire cage with bedding or corner to huddle in and get warm!
rant.gif

Since they are SO TINY, I looked online and think that they are 3 - 4 weeks old. However, you guys are always so amazing and I thought I would ask your opinion! Take a look at the pictures and let me know what you think!

Anyways on with my story, there was no mommy bunny in sight and I felt that they would die if I didn't take them home. I have no bunny cage, only a temporary home while we build their palace. So welcome to the family!
hugs.gif

I noticed that one tiny bunny has some stuff on her/his nose. I thought maybe it was cold in that place and that caused it so I cleaned it off with a warm cottonball yesterday. To my disappointment, it is back. (I have no place to separate the baby to so even though I understand I should quarantine it, I can't. I was NOT prepared for bunnies!!!)

I researched everything I could and I'm thinking snuffles but many of the classic symptoms are not there. There is no sneezing, no labored breathing, and totally clean paws. All 3 are a bit lethargic but I am thinking that they should have mommy bunny milk still! Also is snuffles contagious to other animals? Cat, Dog, Cow, Pig, Chickens, Turkeys, People? I can't afford to take them to the vet that cost $65 for just the visit so any ideas would be wonderful. I did put a tiny bit of ACV in their water.

This is in my 10 yr olds daughter's lap

Next to my daughters hand

Dirty Nose Pictures:

Bunny 1 (older bunny nothing really there)

Bunny 2(little stuff on nose)

Bunny 3 (This is the one i'm worried most about)

Thank you for your help!!!!!!!

Hi! I know it's been like...7 years or so since this was posted. 😂 But in my experience I'd say it was likely Snuffles. There's not much you can actually do for Snuffles per say.

You can either put a tiny bit of Vicks in a bowl with hot water to diffuse it near-ish the cage. What I had done before was use 6 drops of thieves oil (blend from young living) in my diffuser in the same room as the isolated sick cages.

Beyond that, just keep water available at all times and monitor closely.

Back
Top Bottom