Help newbie to hatching!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 14chickmama, Oct 24, 2011.

1. 14chickmama

14chickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Help. Newbie to hatching!!
    As far as I know I have 1 chick so far out of 7 eggs. Is it ok to take it away from my broody hen and put it in the brooder???

2. 14chickmama

Jan 6, 2011
    2 chicks [​IMG]

3. suzeqf

suzeqf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    You can but I found it's much easier to leave them with momma, I have a 8 day old chick and I left him with his moma and she's sitting on 2 eggs for me. I like leaving them with their momma's because I don't have to worry about finding the right temp even though i have a heat lamp in their enlosure to knock the chill off at night

4. 14chickmama

Jan 6, 2011
    Thank you!!! I would live to leave them with mama but they are in the coop with all the other chickens so I worry that they'll die if one of the other chickens get to them. There are 2 chicks and 7 eggs under her. Right now I kinda kicked everyone out if the coop except mama and babies until I know what I'm doing. My hen was so broody that I just said ah wth let her hatch some eggs and now them 3 weeks went very fast and the babies are here. Lol. They are sooooo cute!!

5. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

You have to be careful that the others won't attack the little chicks! I would probably take them from mom. Even though mom does a better job of raising them and keeping them warm. I've seen hens that have never attacked little chicks all of a sudden attack! It can happen so fast.

6. jenlynn4

jenlynn4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    PA
    I would separate mom and baby! [​IMG]

7. jlynn

jlynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2011
    Hart MI
    I have placed wire rings around setting hens and chicks, that way the other chickens don't disturb the nest. this keeps other hens from wanting to set with them, and possibly` braking an egg or pecking at a newly hatched chick. I've also found that if they have been a part of the flock for awhile everyone seems to be quit accepting to the young chicks.
    [​IMG]

8. 14chickmama

Jan 6, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by