Help -not going to coop at night time

lseipp

Hatching
9 Years
Aug 22, 2010
When I first put my chickens in their coop (they free range in the day) they would all come back to the coop at night and I would just lock them in. But, for the last month or so, they have been sleeping on the two top steps to my deck. I would lure them back to the coop and lock them in. But, now when it is time for them to roost they will go to the steps and stay there - rain does not deter them. I will go up and carry them - one by one- back to the coop.... but this is a tough job.... any ideas or suggestions.....Thanks in advance - Linda

Stop feeding them on the deck!
wink.png
All my girls (ducks and chickens) scurry right to bed at sunset.... Good luck breaking them of their bad habits...

I'm not sure why they're doing that. I would do three things: first, give a good look around and see if there's a possibility that something has been trying to get in at night - if they don't feel safe in the coop, that might be why they're going to the deck. Second, i would try "resetting" them by locking them in the coop 24/7 for 3 or 4 days. Third, i would put a light in the coop. Chickens gravitate toward light when it gets dark, so maybe they're gravitating toward the lights coming out of your windows.

I guess you could lock them in the coop for a few days so they remember where home is. I know when you first put them in the coop you're supposed to keep them in for a week.
welcome-byc.gif

Quote:
All good tips. If all else fails, lock their butts up until they re-learn the going to roost routine.

Back
Top Bottom