Help -not going to coop at night time

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lseipp, Oct 6, 2010.

1. lseipp

lseipp New Egg

Aug 22, 2010
    Hi and thanks to everyone who answered my questions about the chickens not going into their coop at night. I put them into lock down for three nights and today I let them out to range. They did not go into their coop but are again on the top step of the deck. It is starting to get cold here at night.... any suggestions???? Thanks

2. MTFarm

MTFarm Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2010
    Not sure what all answers you got or what you've already tried but have you put them in the coop after finding them on the deck?

If already attempted or a repeat response, my apologies.

When I've had a bird try something like that, a few corrections by taking them to the coop fixed it.

Another thing you might try would be to be out near dusk and attempt to block their route in that direction (the deck), kind of 'herding' them towards the coop at roosting time, or draw them that way with feed and then block their way. Depending on your birds and setup this could be a total trainwreck but that's also worked for us when we had a couple roosting in the trees.

Good luck with it.

3. MrsChickendad

MrsChickendad Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Lennon, Michigan
    Try putting a light on in the coop. I wouldn't want to go into a dark hole at night either!

4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Could you provide photograph of coop and surrounding area?

5. Tomhusker

Tomhusker Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2010
    Hamburg, Iowa
    Lock down longer, 5 days at least. And definitely a light in the coop. Works every time.

6. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    That's what works for me. I make sure the only light on in the area is in the coop. They prefer the lighted area, I guess, because as it begins to get dark, they go in the coop.

Quote:

7. kristen2678

kristen2678 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2009
    North Berwick Maine
    I would lock down a little longer and/or put them in before dusk. Is there an attached run or just the coop? Our first chickens just knew what to do. The newer ones needed some guidance. When dusk was nearing I went out with corn or boss or some treat for them. Locked everyone in the run. They quickly learned to go up into the coop on their own at dark.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by