Help! Not sure what to do about the bully girl tonight!

Dhkoenig

Songster
Sep 21, 2020
Bergen County New Jersey
Hi All. I had two sick chickens and they finished their antibiotic so I put the first on in the run and her sister attacked her! I kept jumping in the way but she kept trying to attack her. So I ran and got the other formerly sick chick thinking maybe it was because I just introduced one, but they didn't attack her, but the one hen kept attacking the first one! It was starting to get dark and the bully girl went into the coop along with the other one that had been with her while the other two had been gone. Then the second formerly sick one went it to the coop. They all three roosted and then the fourth one - the one who was being attacked - also went in. It was getting dark so we gave her a little bit of light so she could find the roost and she jumped up and joined the flock for sleep. Do you think in the morning when they wake up, the mean girl is going to attack again? Or do you think since they spent the night in the roost together that all will be forgotten? Not sure if I need to get up at 5:30am tomorrow and run intervention.

How long were the girls separated, did you do any integration back into the flock?
I personally would get up early tomorrow to watch what happens.
Is the one being pecked at the one that has always been the bottom of the pecking order? The ladies may be making sure she stays at the bottom.

What you observed was normal. Having two chickens out sick gave the "bully" the opportunity to move into a rank above the other remaining chicken. When you returned one recovered chicken to the flock, the "bully" was defending her newly won rank.

They may have been able to settle it in the time before you intervened. If not, they will continue the argument tomorrow, and they will keep at it until both agree to whatever ranking each has decided on. Intervening, unless it's to avoid injuries more serious than a slightly bruised comb, only prolongs the conflict. I've stood right over two hens duking it out, not interfering, and it's over in about thirty seconds.

Whenever you separate chickens from the flock, the absence of that chicken causes the pecking order to fluctuate. Returning the separated chicken to the flock causes the pecking order to fluctuate again. For this reason, I only separate a sick or injured chicken when absolutely necessary for their own safety or if they are much too sick to be treated while remaining in the flock.

How long were the girls separated, did you do any integration back into the flock?
I personally would get up early tomorrow to watch what happens.
Is the one being pecked at the one that has always been the bottom of the pecking order? The ladies may be making sure she stays at the bottom.
The one who is getting picked on was only out of the flock since Monday! The other girl was out since Friday but she is not getting picked on. I thought the two buffs were buddies, but maybe I just was assuming that and maybe one was the queen and the other not. The two leghorns meanwhile seem to be completely benign in all of this

UPDATE! The girls were fine this morning. I am guessing Fancy Pants, the one who was being attacked when we let her back in with the flock, was the head B in charge before she left because by this morning, when all was well, it was she who threw the few pecks at Butternut, the one who was being the bully last night.

Back
Top Bottom