Help Now Pls!!!

Chicken Girl

Songster
11 Years
Dec 31, 2008
Wisconsin
I had a baby chick hatch last night, and some of his guts are hanging out. I helped him hatch, and this is my 3rd hatch. Its kinda dry now, but what do i do?!
Thank you,

Chicken Girl

i think its a "cull" chick, hate to say it.
unless you can put the guts back in gently? i dunno. sure hope someone else here can help with you. how is the chick doing? eating? alert etc.?

It might just be the yolk sack, especially if you helped the chick out. Maybe it had not all absorbed. I would separate it from the others and give it time. Sometimes it dries up, falls off and the chick is fine. If it is intestine, you can gently push it back in and seal the hole closed with super glue. I have two superglue chicks alive and well!

Good luck. You might try posting a picture.

He is vary alert! But i left him in the incubator, cuz i dont want the other chicks to pick at it. And i dont want to get atached (sp?) if i do have to cull it. And i realy dont want to tuch the guts.

Chicken Girl

If you want to keep the chick alive, touching the guts shouldn't be a big deal. The poop is on the inside, not on the outside of the guts, just wash your hands after you are done doing what needs to be done.

My mom and dad said to leave it be, and we dont have supper glue. So time will tell. I will get him his own lil place in the brooder tomorrow. He seems fine! Thank you all for you help! I will tell you how he is doing in the morning!

Chicken Girl

Sad to hear about your chick. We had one born 2nd June with guts on outside - it was one of the very first chicks we ever had. It seemed an allert fellow and came out of his shell himself but the stomach was open at the point the yolk sack is attached but the yolk sack was like broken off, and his leg on that side was raised and curled under him. He didn;t get up and although we did leave him overnight we made the painful decision to cull. We did not know about the supper glue - hope you try it. Good luck!!!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom