Help! Oleander!

BunBon

In the Brooder
Oct 12, 2019
Hi!
I just busted my ducks digging into our oleander bush. It looks like they at least tasted a few leaves as there's some fresh sap/leaves broken in half.
Has anyone elses ducks done this? Will they die from just having a taste? :(

FYI the oleander bush is in an area they normally can't get into. The gate is really dodgy though so they got to it this morning :(

Thanks for any help

For four ducks? $$$ honestly not really due to the cost :(
Thanks for the link. I'm a bit scared. They seem fine right now. Swimming around in the pond.

For four ducks? $$$ honestly not really due to the cost :(
Thanks for the link. I'm a bit scared. They seem fine right now. Swimming around in the pond.

How are they doing now? If you want to be circumspect, you could go ahead and administer some activated charcoal if you have any on hand. The dose for birds is 1-3mg per kg. (One gram per kg).

Hey, thanks! :) It's been a few hours now and they're doing fine. The plant must've done it's job at deterring them enough after a small taste.
Got my act together and fixed the gate so it doesn't happen again.
Thanks for the info Isaac :) I'll invest in some activated charcoal to have on hand just in-case there is a next time though.

Hey, thanks! :) It's been a few hours now and they're doing fine. The plant must've done it's job at deterring them enough after a small taste.
Thanks for the info Isaac :) I'll invest in some activated charcoal to have on hand just in-case there is a next time though.

Glad to hear they're doing good. :D

I might add, if you want to really be prepared, buy some tube feeding supplies, people often underestimate the use of fluid therapy during the treatment of toxin ingestion, it might just be just as important as administering a cathartic/ laxative/substance binder.

Back
Top Bottom