help on collecting eggs lol

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Skitz, Mar 24, 2009.

1. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Im collecting eggs for my incubator so im placing them in a bowl with the pointy end down and big end up and everyday I turn them opposite side pointy end up and big end down. I just want to know if im doing a good job?

another question:
    how many days can the eggs be without being put in the incubator. because I want to collect eggs for like a week but im afraid that the old ones won't be good to hatch. so I just want to know how many days they can be out.

another question:
    at what temp. should the eggs be at so that the embryo won't die? im putting them in a bowl in the living room and I have a termometer besides the eggs and the temp reads 70 f. is that too high? I want to know how much is too low for the embryo to die? I believe its at the 30's right?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    This link to a Texas A&M site may help you.

http://gallus.tamu.edu/Extension publications/b6092.pdf

Im collecting eggs for my incubator so im placing them in a bowl with the pointy end down and big end up and everyday I turn them opposite side pointy end up and big end down. I just want to know if im doing a good job?

You turn the eggs to keep the yolk from settling and sticking to the eggshell. According to this site, you don't need to turn them if you store them for less than 10 days. And you do not turn them end for end. You turn them from side to side. I've seen people recommend putting a mark onthe side of an egg, then when you turn them, the mark is either up or down.

another question:
    how many days can the eggs be without being put in the incubator. because I want to collect eggs for like a week but im afraid that the old ones won't be good to hatch. so I just want to know how many days they can be out.

You'll see posts where people have hatched eggs three weeks old, and I believe they have. However, there is pretty universal agreement that the hatchability does not really deteriorate for at least 7 days and 10 days isn't too bad. After that, it drops off rapidly. You'll be all right with a week.

another question:
    at what temp. should the eggs be at so that the embryo won't die? im putting them in a bowl in the living room and I have a termometer besides the eggs and the temp reads 70 f. is that too high? I want to know how much is too low for the embryo to die? I believe its at the 30's right?

This site recommends 46 to 72 degrees for storage. Most of the recommendations I've seen are either 45 to 65 or 55 to 65. Yet many posters on here store their eggs at room temperature and seem pleased with the results. I don't think they are like my sister-in-law and keep their house in the low 60's. And you'll see posting, which I personally believe, of people hatching refrigerated eggs. They normally don't mention what percentage of refrigerated eggs hatch. I think you are OK at 70 and personally would not worry too much at 75.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by