help! One chick sleeping a lot, not growing - sick?

ranchokelly

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 6, 2013
joshua tree, ca
I bought 6 chicks from a local breeder (all vaccinated and a few days old) 10 days ago, and one of them doesn't seem to be doing well. She was always a little smaller than the others, but now I'm noticing an even bigger difference in size, and her feathers aren't coming in like the others' are. I don't see anything noticeably wrong with her, but more and more she just stands by herself and kind of dozes. She's either a Barnvelder or a cream leg bar, if that matters.
Any tips or ideas? She was of course my favorite!

Hmmm… hard to say! Her feathers seem kind of fluffed, but then they all do. She's all fluff/fuzz now except for her wings. Also so small hard to tell if he neck is out.

I wouldn't say watery, just that foul light brown smelly stuff on occasion. though I haven't seen her specific poops.
I have medicated chick starter, though now I'm reading that's bad if they were vaccinated against coccidia, and I'm not sure if they were.

update: I got some powdered Corid and followed instructions on one of these threads, about a teaspoon and a half per gallon. Fed a little to the sickly chick and when I checked back an hour later she was dead.
Guess I will continue with a small preventative dose with the others and post if anything odd happens.

Back
Top Bottom