HELP- one month old chicks started dying this weekend

cool, thank you. I also had another recommendation for yogurt this morning and so I just gave them a little bit (a couple of spoonfuls total for 15 chicks) today at lunch and they LOVED it.

thanks for all your replies to my dying chicks- this sure is a friendly and helpful group!!

I sent one of to UC Davis and they are doing lots of tests. The doctor was surprised the chick was 4 weeks old, she said it looked like only a few days old. They have been eating, so not sure what that may mean. I'm going to get some new feed tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.

I will also try the vinegar in the water. Does it have to be apple cider or can it be white vinegar?

I'll post the results of the examination from UC Davis Animal Health and Food Safety.

I'm now down to 2 healthy and one in the ICU (starting with 10 a month ago).

One other thing that may be normal or not in the two healthy ones. When the are standing their bodies seem to constantly be tipping back and forth, front to back. They seem to be balancing fine, and holding their heads upright, but they have a very odd swaying thing going on. Anyone ever see that?

They are from Ideal Poultry by the way, so I'm curious about any other feedback their chicks.
thanks again everyone
Tim

Tim,
The swaying thing seems a bit odd; it's as if something neurological is going on or beginning. Did you mention this to the drs. there at UCDavis? It may help to pinpoint something.
Thanks for the update. I hope the other two chicks make it for you.

Carla

I have seen some other threads about Ideal Poultry... you may want to look for those and check out what others are saying... or you could start a new thread, asking about Ideal and people's recent experiences.

Its beginning to sound like mereks disease. Oh how i hope not or another neurological one. The swaying is from weakness. your poor babies. Yes the apple cider all natural with the mother is the only one I would suggest. It has vitamins and other helpful stuff in it. I get mine at the health food store. I think the brand is Braggs. Be sure you let the guys at the university know about the swaying. It is an important symptom. Good luck jean

Update:
THV emailed me and states that UC davis lab said the chicks have E-Coli septicemia.

Avian E-Coli septicemia mode of transmission is usually through egg or respiratory.

He plans to give a full update once the full lab results are back as well as forward the results to Ideal.

Last edited:
Hi Everyone, update on my problem- turns out I was feeding them the wrong food and they died from calcium deficiency. Not a happy story, but at least I know what the cause of the problem was and don't have to worry about all the horrible diseases it could have been. The 2 I have remaining from the first batch are doing OK now that I've changed the feed.

Thanks for all your help, I'm sure I'll have more questions as my chicks grow up.
Tim

I think I would try a different source for yor next batch of chicks. Seems logical that something may be going on from the breeder because it sounds like you've done everything right. I wouldn't combine the news chicks with the old, and fully sterilize anything you reuse for the new ones. I don't vaccinate our chicks either. I hope I have'nt jinxed my flock, but everyone seems to be ok. Sorry for your troubles. Good luck. .........(editted).... Just saw your last post. Glad it got figured out!

Last edited:
I'd definitely sterilize. I use Oxine and have been pleased with it. A gallon last forever since it is so concentrated. I wonder about the feed....medicated chick starter, right? What percentage protein and Ca would lead to Ca deficiency? Was the feed contaminated? E-coli would have shown signs of diarrhea in the chicks and dehydration I would have thought.

Back
Top Bottom