1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

HELP! One of my chicks keeps falling over?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jeremy, Jul 5, 2010.

1. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    So this keeps happening when ever my chick turns it's head around to preen itself.

[​IMG]

Sometimes it can wiggle and get itself upright but I've also helped it a couple times.

[​IMG]

It isn't showing any signs of illness, it's running around the brooder with the rest and it's eating and drinking like it never has before. It just sort of seems, clumsy. [​IMG] Should I be concerned?

Keep in mind this chick was just hatched yesterday, maybe it's motor skill aren't quite where they should be yet? I've checked for feet deformities and everything looks fine.

Has any one else ever encountered this before?

2. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Songster

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Dunno. [​IMG] I'd keep an eye on it and maybe give it some sugar water. Might help it a bit?

3. PippyChicken

PippyChicken Songster

Jul 2, 2009
    AL
    Since it just hatched yesterday it may be because it is young..if it's not that then just watch it and if it keeps falling over something may be wrong with it. [​IMG]

4. mediazeal

mediazeal Songster

Feb 26, 2009
    How goes the 'I've fallen and I can't get up' behaviour?
    The ones that are a little older did it when they were little roly poly babies too and they did eventually always right themselves.
    Are they doing better? [​IMG]

5. Doodle_Doo

Doodle_Doo Songster

Oct 10, 2009
    Missouri City, TX
    ive had it happen here with two young ones about two weeks ago
    with chickens and pheasants they would walk side ways or try to
    laydown and any movement would tip them over and they would start kicking alot
    i had to use my hand and to help them stand up..out of three with that roblem only
    one dyed cause the others would step over him/her..the other two are now doing great
    walking fine with the help..i had experience from rasing parakeets and parrots which get that
    alot from weak legs or not enough joint strenght..just help them stand up so they work their legs
    with their weight and build up stamina and they should be fine.. alot of constant check up to help them
    and also to see the others dont step on the and hurt them..

6. lovinlife

lovinlife Songster

When baby chicks get sleepy, they just drop over. Could be all it is, but keep an eye on her. Make sure she's drinking, have you dipped her beak in water yet?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: