HELP! One rhode island red dead, wooried about the other

lindylou47

Chirping
7 Years
May 26, 2012
Wa.
I will try to make this quick. I have a buff orpington, 2 Plymouth rocks, and now one RI red. The red I have still, starting molting several weeks ago, and I had to seperate her from the others because they kept pecking at her. Then the other RI red starting molting about a week ago and they seem to be fine. I went out this morning and found my poor minnie (the last molting Red) dead.It had to be the other chickens that killed her. Was wondering if anyone could tell me why? And do I need to remove the other Red again?
I dont want to lose another one. They are my pets along with 4 ducks, and I care for them a lot! Any help will be appreciated!!!
Thanks, Linda

I would make sure someone wasn't picking on her and the sex of your ducks. When I have ducks with chickens if they are all males they will sex a hen and it kills her! A duck is too well endowed to have sex with a chicken. Ducks with chickens are fine as long as you have male and female ducks.
If I have a pecking problem i will take some calf liver and run it through grinder and feed them some. Some people hate idea of feeding liver to them but they are lacking protein and iron if they are pecking each other & especially to death. I would feed them some bread and anything else that I could find. I would think they were hungry or feed I was feeding them was lacking in something. If anything I would get some poultry vitamins and add to their water that will help. Make sure they have big enough pen too and sunlight available. Can they get out and get a dirt bath? Just some ideas for you.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom