HELP....Only my second hatching and need advice please

digitalise

In the Brooder
Aug 7, 2016
I have 20 eggs in my incubator and 2 have hatched 3 days early, the first needed help getting out (just a little bit) the second was still trying to get out 12 hours later this morning I see the membrane was to tough for it to break through so helped a little, 2 hours later there was still not much progress getting out the shell, helped a bit more twice over the next 3 hours, eventually came completely out but with (what I think) to be some yolk not completely absorbed, looks like a bulbous red dome with what I think is veins inside, I would guess this to be around 1/4 inch to 1/2 an inch diameter (sortish) been like that now for about 3 hours, chick just laid there with occassional fluttery movements but mainly resting, If this is yolk even though she is detached from the shell, there is some blood on the inside of the shell but not to much, will she still absorb it does anyone know? I am a newbie and could use all the help I can get, do not want to lose it.

Just took this photo so you can see the red sack, should I just leave well alone? it has not attempted to get up yet but is raising its head and moving its legs, there is some shell still connected I think, but with 18 eggs left in the incu and 3 peeping out I really do not want to open the inc unless necessary I have had to lift the lid a few times today to help them out. Thanks for any help.

I sprayed the eggs w a mist of water regularly, even during hatching I sprayed a folded hand towel in the bator to keep things wetted. Maybe your humidity needs a boost. Very nervous time, I feel for you.

Hi, thank you,
yes I did all that too, and from day 18 raised the humidity upto 75 to 85%, but they started hatching earlier than I expected, 21 days is not up until monday and these two hatched yesterday, Friday. I have uploaded a picture of it just waiting for a moderator to ok it. Thanks again. :)

Thanks Eggsitter, do you think that what I have put the box around is the last of the yolk being absorbed? I have just got back after 2 hours away and the chick has moved, maybe because 2 more have hatched, but the size and situation is still the same and it looks like it cannot detach itself from the last of the shell, I tried to remove it with tweezers little by little but the chick did not like that one bit, he was clearly distressed so I stopped, but I have to wait now for about another hour before I can remove the newly hatched chicks to the brooder, just hope they dont start pecking at the one that has the problem.

Is it attached to the shell - for instance - is the shell stuck to its back? If so take a bit of water and try to work it off GENTLY w a Q-tip. If it's really stuck try coconut oil. If it is stuck to his face then you can't use water w/o risking aspiration. I can't see your photo but I'll look again.

I have removed the other two newly hatched into the brooder with the one that hatched yesterday,
I have been told that the best way to remove what is left stuck to the yolk sac that has not been absorbed
is to hold it gently under the tap with slow moving tepid water, and keep doing that until it is clean, and wrap in
kitchen paper that is wet and return to the incubator. I have removed
now just about all the egg shell apart from one bit stuck to the yolk sac that may be stopping the absorbtion?
my other worry is that if this is not sorted soon the chick will not be able to poo so will eventually die.

Back
Top Bottom