Help! Open wound on silkie from hawk attack

Sandrachx

Songster
13 Years
Oct 16, 2007
Chelsea, MI
i have an open wound i need to tend to on the lower back of my silkie girl. it is appr 3/4" long, open and not bleeding. hawk got her and cannot find my roo - found her feathers but none of his, so not sure if he is hiding.

was thinking of trimming away feathers and using a steri strip to close up the wound to let it heal. farmer supply recommend bag balm as ointment to cover wound and keep flies out.

also putting her in isolation until it doesn't look tempting to other hens. a cage will be used in the basement away from flies, etc.

any other things i should consider? all other girls and babies (15) are inside their run.

please respond! i'm checking this site every 30 minutes.

Neosporin is another option if you have some. New kind comes in a spray. Is less messay ang bag balm could be used later when flesh heald to keep wound soft and prevent scabbing.

Big thing is to prevent infection. Do you have any blue lotion or tincture of iodine for initial cleaning?

thanks for responding. i cleaned the area with slightly soapy water, trimmed the feathers away and used bag balm and steri-strips. she's resting in a cage in the basement by a window for light and we have prayed over her (prayed during the entire process - have never treated wounds like these . . .)

turns out it was a fox attack - we found it later and disposed of it since i was scouting out my run again a little later in the afternoon.

thanks again for taking the time to respond to my urgent request. you were the only one, which i find very disappointing.

Back
Top Bottom