Help! Our first layer Oreo (barred rock) thinks she owns the coop.

YPiedra

In the Brooder
Feb 15, 2022
Our first layer of our very first flock, Oreo, (we have raised these chicks since 6 days old), won't let any of the other girls go in the coop to lay. This wouldn't be a problem if she went in nested and laid, she takes a long time, I would say about 2 hours to lay her egg each day, not at a nest but inside the coop pacing back and forth for a long time. Since she began laying, another 2 girls have also started laying, we now get 3 eggs a day. They all lay in the morning, Oreo being the last to lay, but she goes in the coop 2 hours before her laying time and pecks everyone who tries to go in. Today, we had to get her out of the coop, and keep her away from the run/coop while Pancake and Dottie laid their egg, then we let her in. All was good after that. She is not aggressive towards us, she just terrorizes all the other girls. She is very vocal and aggressive towards them, only during egg-laying time. Is this considered broody behavior? She does not stay on the egg or nest, she lays and then she is off.

No, that is not broody behavior. She's just being a brute and a bully. Chickens can be that way. Each have their own personality.

What are you working with? How many chickens in total and how old are they? It sounds like they are pretty young but are they different ages. How big, in feet or meters, is your coop? Your run? How many nests do you have and how are they laid out? A few photos of the coop and nests might be really helpful. It's easier for me to guess what is going on and how to fix it if I know what you are working with and what might be causing the behavior.

If room is tight that can make behavioral problems worse but this doesn't sound like a pure space problem. My first guess is that they are young and she is intimidating them to establish herself as the dominant flock leader. Adolescence can be rough on everybody. But it could easily be something totally different.

No, that is not broody behavior. She's just being a brute and a bully. Chickens can be that way. Each have their own personality.

What are you working with? How many chickens in total and how old are they? It sounds like they are pretty young but are they different ages. How big, in feet or meters, is your coop? Your run? How many nests do you have and how are they laid out? A few photos of the coop and nests might be really helpful. It's easier for me to guess what is going on and how to fix it if I know what you are working with and what might be causing the behavior.

If room is tight that can make behavioral problems worse but this doesn't sound like a pure space problem. My first guess is that they are young and she is intimidating them to establish herself as the dominant flock leader. Adolescence can be rough on everybody. But it could easily be something totally different.
Hi! Thank your for your response!

Our flock consists of 6 hens, they are 24 weeks old, we purchased them together from McMurray hatchery as days old chicks. They have grown together, 3 are barred rock and 3 are buff orpington.

We bought a coop with run that holds 8-10 chickens. I’m attaching pictures with the specifications.

Thank you so much for help!

Attachments

• 00DB660C-1916-41FB-AC90-853D2CB5BC6D.jpeg
    00DB660C-1916-41FB-AC90-853D2CB5BC6D.jpeg
    211.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 975E0E16-D8D9-40DE-B5A7-9EB3CD008AD9.jpeg
    975E0E16-D8D9-40DE-B5A7-9EB3CD008AD9.jpeg
    140 KB · Views: 7
  • F1C526CF-3213-4444-B805-92A09479266A.jpeg
    F1C526CF-3213-4444-B805-92A09479266A.jpeg
    103.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 7311D4D0-FAA7-4D76-8A1A-4772FDDCE6D8.jpeg
    7311D4D0-FAA7-4D76-8A1A-4772FDDCE6D8.jpeg
    119.8 KB · Views: 5
  • D35A1745-D173-4170-9D74-330243CECB02.jpeg
    D35A1745-D173-4170-9D74-330243CECB02.jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 5
You do not want to put 10 birds in there. The pre-fab coops often say they will hold more chickens than they should. I think if you were lucky, you might get 5 in there, but 4 would be better. I make it out to be a bit more than 3 feet x 6 feet.

Often times what seems like more than enough room when they were chicks, is NOT enough room when they are full size. Then you get ugly behaviors. Being raised together will not overcome this, neither will 'free roaming' for a couple of hours a day.

For the short term- I would set up a cardboard box out side in the run, maybe put it on its side, or put a rag over the top, to make it a bit private, and put a bit of bedding in it and some fake eggs. More than likely, some of the chickens will use this, and the Queen bee can take her time.

For the long term, and definitely before winter - I would either reduce the size of the flock, or make the coop larger.

Mrs K

You do not want to put 10 birds in there. The pre-fab coops often say they will hold more chickens than they should. I think if you were lucky, you might get 5 in there, but 4 would be better. I make it out to be a bit more than 3 feet x 6 feet.

Often times what seems like more than enough room when they were chicks, is NOT enough room when they are full size. Then you get ugly behaviors. Being raised together will not overcome this, neither will 'free roaming' for a couple of hours a day.

For the short term- I would set up a cardboard box out side in the run, maybe put it on its side, or put a rag over the top, to make it a bit private, and put a bit of bedding in it and some fake eggs. More than likely, some of the chickens will use this, and the Queen bee can take her time.

For the long term, and definitely before winter - I would either reduce the size of the flock, or make the coop larger.

Mrs K
Thank you so much! I appreciate your guidance! I will find a way to make their run/coop larger, we only have six and they free range all day from sunrise to sunset, the only time they stay in the run enclosure is if there is bad weather, heavy rains, etc. I will make more nesting boxes available as well, see if that helps the laying egg situation.

How about a pic of the coop, or a link to the product?
If this link works. I did a search on "petmate 70401d chicken coop". You can get these at Tractor Supply so it looks like YPiedra is in the USA.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...erm=4585375807245420&utm_content=All Products

I make it out to be a bit more than 3 feet x 6 feet.
Yeah, 3-1/2' x 6' at the most. I don't consider the enclosed coop section as really separate from the run section as long as they have access to both. I could not find the size of the enclosed section but it looks like it's only 3' long and 12" of that is taken up with the nests. It is easy for that pullet to block access to the nests.

YPiedra, one rule of thumb on here is that you need one nest or every four hens so you should only need two nests. Almost no other person would have the trouble your having if it wasn't for the attitude of that one pullet. Just rotten luck on your part. They each have their own personalities and you can't tell what a living animal will do.

Not sure why your pullet is doing that. My guess is that she is still pretty immature and is establishing her dominance over the others. Where is your food and water? Sometimes they intimidate the others by trying to keep them away from food and water, especially when integrating. Going through puberty may be close enough to integration. Is she actually blocking access to food and water? Hopefully the immediate fix is that easy. An actual photo of your set-up might help us see something.

She may grow out of that as they all mature. Maybe. A temporary fix could be to put another nest in the run to see if the others use it. Don't use cardboard if you have rain.

Where are you located? I'm interested in your weather and climate. That could make a big difference in my suggestions as to a permanent fix. If you modify your profile to show that information it's always available. Location makes a difference in a lot of things.

we only have six and they free range all day from sunrise to sunset, the only time they stay in the run enclosure is if there is bad weather, heavy rains, etc.
If bad weather means a blizzard, tornado, or hurricane I can understand. But don't worry about heavy rain or something like that. Let them decide if they want to be outside. Mine often enjoy a rain, even a heavy one. They are usually out foraging for worms that come to the surface.

With them free ranging all day every day what you have should be OK for the good weather months as long as they have access to it and are not locked in that tiny enclosed area. That's why I'm interested in where you are, what does bad weather, especially winter weather, look like?

If this link works. I did a search on "petmate 70401d chicken coop". You can get these at Tractor Supply so it looks like YPiedra is in the USA.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/petmate-superior-construction-chicken-coop-70401d-1428968?cm_mmc=feed-_-BingShopping-_-Product-_-1428968&msclkid=61d9ef053a811d4bd9008d25ebbb7190&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping - All Products&utm_term=4585375807245420&utm_content=All Products

Yeah, 3-1/2' x 6' at the most. I don't consider the enclosed coop section as really separate from the run section as long as they have access to both. I could not find the size of the enclosed section but it looks like it's only 3' long and 12" of that is taken up with the nests. It is easy for that pullet to block access to the nests.

YPiedra, one rule of thumb on here is that you need one nest or every four hens so you should only need two nests. Almost no other person would have the trouble your having if it wasn't for the attitude of that one pullet. Just rotten luck on your part. They each have their own personalities and you can't tell what a living animal will do.

Not sure why your pullet is doing that. My guess is that she is still pretty immature and is establishing her dominance over the others. Where is your food and water? Sometimes they intimidate the others by trying to keep them away from food and water, especially when integrating. Going through puberty may be close enough to integration. Is she actually blocking access to food and water? Hopefully the immediate fix is that easy. An actual photo of your set-up might help us see something.

She may grow out of that as they all mature. Maybe. A temporary fix could be to put another nest in the run to see if the others use it. Don't use cardboard if you have rain.

Where are you located? I'm interested in your weather and climate. That could make a big difference in my suggestions as to a permanent fix. If you modify your profile to show that information it's always available. Location makes a difference in a lot of things.

If bad weather means a blizzard, tornado, or hurricane I can understand. But don't worry about heavy rain or something like that. Let them decide if they want to be outside. Mine often enjoy a rain, even a heavy one. They are usually out foraging for worms that come to the surface.

With them free ranging all day every day what you have should be OK for the good weather months as long as they have access to it and are not locked in that tiny enclosed area. That's why I'm interested in where you are, what does bad weather, especially winter weather, look like?
Hi All,

I'm so sorry I'm responding now, I did not receive notification of these messages.

We are in South Charlotte, NC, USA, our winters are low 30s/40s/50s and a few days even in the 20s. We have had flurries but not heavy snow. It rains heavy in the spring but not constantly. We had a relatively windy, rainy week recently and we covered the run/coop with a tarp to protect them from the elements, still leaving the run door open and accesible so they could go out if they wanted to.

Thankfully, Oreo has calmed down some, the funny thing is all six are now laying and they all lay in the same nest, go figures! I think, like you mention, it is just her personality, and our rotten luck, she is the only one that pecks at me hard, sometimes leaving a mark, I love her regardless, she is very sassy.

The main food and water are in the run, we also provide food and water outside as they are free ranging ladies and I like them to have options.

Attachments

• IMG_1092.JPEG
    IMG_1092.JPEG
    189.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6222.JPG
    IMG_6222.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
  • IMG_0647.JPG
    IMG_0647.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5241.JPG
    IMG_5241.JPG