Help... our furnace is in the garage will the chick dust harm it?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by horseshowmomnv, Mar 18, 2012.

1. horseshowmomnv

horseshowmomnv Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    Reno NV
    We need to move the 26 chicks to the garage (too much dust) will the dust in the garage harm the furnace?

2. AmyLM

AmyLM Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2011
    Buckley washington
    Ive wondered about that too. My chicks made an UNBELIEVABLE amount of dust. When our chicks are all out to the barn we will be having the room professionally cleaned and will be changing all of the filters on the furnace/ac. The dust didn't stay in the room like I had hoped... it went all over the whole house (courtesy of central air).

3. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    I've heard chicks make alot of dust but I didnt have that problem. What kind of bedding do you use? I decided to go with sand,not sure if that made a difference, it is easy to sift and clean out the poop. Plus once sifted the poop is ready for the garden.

4. horseshowmomnv

Feb 9, 2012
    Reno NV
    Maybe it is the central air, we used sand and some shavings. The dust is unbearable with 26 chicks. They are now moved into the garage. A friend of mine told me that it is not a problem with the furnace with them being in the garage. Just about have my den dust free, now for the rest of the house. I will never put chicks back in my house, well at least not 26! The chicken math may strike again but never 26 at one time!

5. felidaet

felidaet Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2008
    Vancouver, Wa.
    I also have a furnace (Natural gas) in the garage. I have raised chicks in the garage twice and getting ready to do it again in 3 weeks, I did not have any problems with the furnace. In fact, I had a repairman check the heating and cooling systems as preventative maintenance a couple of weeks ago. He said the furnace looked very good and it was not dirty.

6. horseshowmomnv

Feb 9, 2012
    Reno NV
    Thank you for the reassurance! That is what I needed to hear.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by