Help! Our Gloria is hurt.

I too was told twice per day, and hopefully my dosage I used on a silkie was correct as somewhere here I read 500 mg twice a day, so I gave her half that for a week. She just had come out of the coop with a horrible respiratory issue one morning that lingered for two days and I have no idea why she was the only one affected but this did the trick.
It should always be given by weight. This is why making blanket statements about doses can be so harmful. You were smart not to give 500mg.

When my vets have prescribed it, it's been 125 mg/kg (57 mg per pound), and all veterinary textbooks I have seen say 125-150 mg/kg.

It should always be given by weight. This is why making blanket statements about doses can be so harmful. You were smart not to give 500mg.

When my vets have prescribed it, it's been 125 mg/kg (57 mg per pound), and all veterinary textbooks I have seen say 125-150 mg/kg.
Yikes, then I was nearly double. She weighs maybe 2.5 to 3 lbs tops I'd guess. I should have weighed her when I had her in the house for a week. I'll make a sticker for that bottle for if there's a next time, so thank you! It's actually the first time in 7 years that any of my silkies were ever sick, so knock on wood.

I should go find where I read that at and link your reply there!

She seems to be in better spirits today. We are keeping her inside but came out for fresh air. I have been treating her as you suggested. I cannot tell if anything is broken off. She is holding it up today.

Attachments

• 04E7DC3A-C970-466D-AD74-66FC929E5BB8.jpeg
    04E7DC3A-C970-466D-AD74-66FC929E5BB8.jpeg
    462.9 KB · Views: 8
  • D53A916B-6158-4776-B3F9-43ADCDCC02F9.jpeg
    D53A916B-6158-4776-B3F9-43ADCDCC02F9.jpeg
    463.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 7540C83D-31CB-4B54-A81E-FD265C09DCC8.png
    7540C83D-31CB-4B54-A81E-FD265C09DCC8.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 8
Remember dont let it dry out You want to keep it moist with ointment like neosporin (without pain relief) and if you can try to clip away the feathers that are in/around the wound area so they dont get stuck in there as it heals

I copied this from @azygous

Here's what you do in the event of a predator attack to treat the survivor.

1. Treat for shock as the number one step. Give warm Gatoraid or mix a half teaspoon of sugar into a fourth of a cup of warm water with a pinch of salt and baking soda. Have the patient drink it all or syringe it into the beak.

2. Flush the wound well with saline. This is better than soap and water as it maintains the PH of the tissues. But warm soap and water will do. You need to wash away the bacteria from the wound.

3. Inspect the wound carefully. If it has a skin flap dangling, keep that. Do not cut it off. Look for bite, tear or puncture marks indicating a puncture wound. If you see this, the patient will need an oral antibiotic such as amoxicillin. Bacteria from the predator’s mouth can be injected deep into tissue and can kill in as little as 24 to 48 hours. You can order this https://www.kvsupply.com/item/aqua-mox-250mg-capsules-100-count/P06184/250mg once a day for ten days. Or you may be able to find this or something similar at TSC or a pet store.

4. Spray with Vetericyn wound treament and let dry. Use a topical antibiotic ointment such as Neosporin or a generic without pain killer in it to coat the wound. If there's a skin flap, lay it across the wound that has just been coated with the ointment. Then smooth on a generous amount over the top of the skin flap to hold it in place.

5. It's useless to try to stitch a wound on a chicken. Don't even try. It's also useless to try to bandage a wound other than on the feet. The chicken will not tolerate it. It will be pulled off faster than you can blink an eye.

6. Clean the wound every day following the above steps. Keep the wound covered with the ointment. Never allow the wound to get dried out or it will not heal.
This was very helpful! Thank you. We are sort of new to this.
Remember dont let it dry out You want to keep it moist with ointment like neosporin (without pain relief) and if you can try to clip away the feathers that are in/around the wound area so they dont get stuck in there as it heals

Attachments

• C09247B6-0E5D-4C92-808B-6832626A514E.jpeg
    C09247B6-0E5D-4C92-808B-6832626A514E.jpeg
    460.2 KB · Views: 5
Can’t add anymore than has already been said. Just wanted to say I sure hope Gloria makes a full recovery. They are amazing how well they recover with good care.
Also make sure you fix the breach in your pen/ coop what ever got hold of her will be back.

Back
Top Bottom