Help! - out of chick feed tonight

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by justeileen, Apr 19, 2016.

1. justeileen

justeileen New Egg

Apr 19, 2016
    Our chicks are 9 days old. We have food grade items:
    10 Grain
    Bulger Wheat
    Corn Grits
    Cracked Wheat
    Flax Meal
    Flax Seed
    Hulled Millet
    Mung Bean Sprouts
    Pea Sprouts
    Scottish Oatmeal
    Wheat Bran
    Rice Chex
    Corn Chex
    Corn Flakes
    Cream of Wheat

Can they eat any of these in some form and do we need to add cage bird grit? I can run up to the 24-hour Walmart for the grit.
    THANK YOU!!!!

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

It's just for one day?

I'd offer the corn flakes or corn/rice chex, finely crushed so they will be easy for the birds to eat.

1 person likes this.
  3. cavemanrich

cavemanrich Overrun With Chickens

Apr 6, 2014
    Melrose Park Illinois
    For best results , give them stuff that is crumbly. This way you do not need to rush out for some grit tonight. The harder seed are better to avoid because the chicks do need to grind their food then in their gizzard. Chick starter and all other chicken processed feed can be given to chickens that do not have access to grit. Here is a simple solution test you can do for your needs now. If you put whatever you have into water and it gets soft in short time, then it will be fine for your chicks.
    WISHING YOU BEST and [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  4. goofychickens

goofychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

You can feed them for a day or two on instant oatmeal, flaked infant cereal, or other whole-grain cereals. You can put whole grains (rice, wheat, barley, old-fashioned oats, anything) into the blender and blend them slightly. Do not blend completely to a powder --- the feed should have some "grits" in it. Leave the feed with them all the time --- they will stop eating when they have had enough.

Cream of wheat is not going to hurt them any.

-Goofy

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by