Help! Peachick pipped in middle of egg!

I've actually got 3 in there. Maybe it's overkill, but I've actually had really good luck with all my chicken eggs hatching with no trouble and no deformity. I have a couple cheaper one's in there and then I have a more expensive one, which after reading reviews seemed to be a really good one. It's a caliber IV hygrometer and thermometer that a lot of people use for cigar boxes, so it's nice and small as well and is supposed to be as accurate as you can get. I keep it around 50% give or take a couple degrees here and there and I incubate with them laying on their sides (large end slightly higher than pointy end) and turn them 180 degrees odd number of times each day plus they are in an egg turner (turns every 2 hours) as well, so they are turned plenty. My temperature has been consistent (at least according to all the thermometers I have in there), so I'm not sure why I'm having trouble with my peafowl eggs, but not my chicken eggs :idunno

I thought it may have something to do with my breeders? Next year my yearlings will be able to breed, so maybe that will tell the tale when I have some different eggs/birds.

I thought it may have something to do with my breeders? Next year my yearlings will be able to breed, so maybe that will tell the tale when I have some different eggs/birds.
This has been an awful year for everything, it isn't just you, we are all suffering from a late start to the season, poor egg production, bad hatch rates, etc. However, you are correct that the birds' nutritional needs affect the viability of the eggs. Beginning at the molt nutrition is vital for the health of the eggs to be produced for the coming season. The better the conditioning the healthier the eggs and developing chicks will be.

This has been an awful year for everything, it isn't just you, we are all suffering from a late start to the season, poor egg production, bad hatch rates, etc. However, you are correct that the birds' nutritional needs affect the viability of the eggs. Beginning at the molt nutrition is vital for the health of the eggs to be produced for the coming season. The better the conditioning the healthier the eggs and developing chicks will be.
I'm sorry to hear many other people are having trouble as well, it can be very stressful. I feed them a combination of layer pellets and scratch grain and then I also mix in a bit of game bird feed. They also get treats of fruits and vegetables (I freeze these when its really hot for a fruit or veggie popsicle) and since they are in aviaries I also give them tons of grass clippings when we cut. Mealworms are a special treat but they do get them on occassion. Is this an okay diet or should I add or change anything? I'm definitely willing to do that for the health of the birds/eggs/chicks .

So the chick is still alive and chirping. This morning the only progress I see is there is a small hole in the membrane where the pip hole is and I can occasionally see its beak moving around. I'm going to leave it alone still to see if it can make any progress because I would hate to assist too early. Today is day 28 so hopefully by the end of today this chick will hatch

I'm sorry to hear many other people are having trouble as well, it can be very stressful. I feed them a combination of layer pellets and scratch grain and then I also mix in a bit of game bird feed. They also get treats of fruits and vegetables (I freeze these when its really hot for a fruit or veggie popsicle) and since they are in aviaries I also give them tons of grass clippings when we cut. Mealworms are a special treat but they do get them on occassion. Is this an okay diet or should I add or change anything? I'm definitely willing to do that for the health of the birds/eggs/chicks .
I recommend layer only during the breeding season as they only need about 1 1/2% calcium and the cocks can develop problems with too much calcium. The game bird feed is the better choice. Try to limit grains especially soy, corn is fine during the winter when they need that extra heat. Adding scratch grains brings the protein level down, try for about a 20% protein level and remember that the other things you are feeding will bring the level down also. Everything else you are doing sounds good.

Thank you for the advise!! I will definitely take it to heart and make some adjustments. Since I last posted a new baby was born :weethe chick has curled toes which ive already started corrective measures to get them straightened out. Surprisingly enough though my India blue pair are split to white or black shoulder bc I have a yellow baby. Very excited around here today!!
0627181548a.jpg

Back
Top Bottom