Help! Peacock has adopted us

ElkRiverFarms

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 13, 2012
A peacock has recently adopted us. He was going up and down the river and I was afraid he was going to get hit. Now he loves it here but I haven't figured out if he likes my chickens or not. He is constantly following them and fanning his feathers at them. He really follows my rooster and I think he does want to hurt him but again I am not sure because I have only seen him following him. I have never had a peacock before so I am really not sure if he is trying to be mean or not. Can anyone give me any input?

Thanks!

Hahahahaha. I am sorry. That is pretty amazing though. You should keep him. It sounds like he is not trying to hurt anyone, more like he is trying to fit in. Is he fully grown? Can you take some pictures? Do you know where he came from? Maybe someone is looking for him. I am new to keeping peafowl myself. Mine was an accident too. A gift actually. A very poorly timed gift, but we made it work. Peacocks are truly magnificent birds, not just in their famous plumage. They are a lot of fun to have. As far as I know they coexist quite well with other birds such as chickens and ducks. I plan to introduce chickens to my yard in a couple of months and see how that goes with my pea. There are people on this forum who are much more knowledgeable than me in peafowl so I will leave specific advice up to them. All I will say is - maybe it was meant to be.

I haven't had any problems with chickens,ducks,turkey, or geese free ranging with peas. But when I penned guineas with them, the d. guineas plucked his tail feathers. But you should probably post at the local supermarket or newspaper, someone is missing their boy.

A peacock has recently adopted us. He was going up and down the river and I was afraid he was going to get hit. Now he loves it here but I haven't figured out if he likes my chickens or not. He is constantly following them and fanning his feathers at them. He really follows my rooster and I think he does want to hurt him but again I am not sure because I have only seen him following him. I have never had a peacock before so I am really not sure if he is trying to be mean or not. Can anyone give me any input?

If there are no peahens around for him to flirt with he will fan out to other birds like chickens if they are around, this is perfectly normal...

In my experience if your rooster doesn't show any aggression towards him he won't show any back, at least not any to worry about...

Thanks for your comments. One of my neighbors originally got him and he didn't like it there and moved on to the next neighbor and then he moved here. I did rescue a peahen that was running around town that people didn't like. Now they are both off the streets. The peahen is laying on eggs so I am sure we will be having some babies soon.

I did watch the peacock today and he hasn't hurt my rooster at all, he just follows him. He follows the chickens too but not as much. I think he does just want to fit in.

Thank you all.

Keep us updated and congratulations on a new addition to your yard. I think you will find him to be a fun new adventure. :) Best of luck.

Back
Top Bottom