HELP!! PEAHEN SICK??

SweetWaterRanch

Chirping
10 Years
Jul 8, 2009
Loma Rica, CA
We have a peahen that has been acting different today. She has been staying next to the front door, panting, keeps her butt in the air and her eyes don't look right almost as if they are a bit sunken and she keeps blinking. She is not interested in water or food. I just a discovered an egg close to where she has been and it is a soft egg (no shell) but really strange looking not like the other ones I have seen before and it appears to have a bit of blood on it. I have added a couple pix of what her egg looks like. Can someone PLEASE tell me what is going on????
Thank you for all the help in advance.

So sorry your girl is sick! Poor girl.

I can't help you with her problem (I'm not an experienced peaperson), but whoever shows up here to give advice will probably start by asking you some questions about your girl.
So the more information you include here now, the easier it will be for them to help you.

For example:
How old is she?
Has she laid eggs before?
Has she already laid eggs this year?
How long ago?
When did you last see her eat/drink/poop?
Any information you can provide will help.
Also, maybe you can post a picture of her so the experts can see exactly how she looks?

She is 2 years old, ate this morning (didn't pay attention to how much), pooped not sure. As far as eggs not sure as we have 9 hens and they lay all over our property and when we see eggs we destroy them as we DON'T need anymore peafowl so some of the eggs we got rid of might have been hers.

The only thing I have seen mentioned on the forum relating to egg problems is when a hen gets egg bound (which is bad). But if she already laid that funny looking egg today, I don't think that could be her problem...
Experts???

She appears to be better, but not really 100%... I did find another soft egg this morning, so hopefully that was the problem (what you said) and she will be back to her ole bratty self soon. LOL :) Thanks again for all the help!!

We did not realize it was necessary for proper laying, we understood oyster shell was only for viable (hatching) eggs. As we are not interested in anymore chicks we have not been feed it for a few months. Looks like we need to start feeding oyster shell again. Thanks for the kind thoughts and all the info and suggestions.

I am sure there are some places that may not need it, heck i have musles in all my ponds and there are always shells that get carried out buy the coons and then i run over them time and time again with the tractor when i am bush hogging my birds eat them but i still furnish shell because i got a bunh a free loaders that never even seen the ponds cause they are never 100 feet from the roost and nesting areas where the others are all over the place from dusk till dawn.

Back
Top Bottom