Help! Pecking my lav orp chick!

HensInTheForest

Songster
Apr 1, 2022
Minnesota
So tonight when I cleaned the brooder which I do each night before lights go out I noticed her.

Someone has pecked her today now a bald patch on her shoulder. Naughty!!

If course she is so calm and gentle this figures. My daughters fav the first one she named. She went to bed in tears. My daughter not the chick.

I have 11 3.5 week Olds and 11 2.5 week olds On 24% starter in a 7 x 7 tent.

Breeds are LO BO PBB Amer SGE White Leghorn FAV MMM and Light Brahmas roughly 2 of each with 3 of some colored eggers.

No idea which one or ones are doing this. Will be watching tomorrow.

Do I need to separate her with 2 others? I don't have a second heat plate but can grab a heat lamp tomorrow from farm store and make her own section in tent brooder if need be. WWYD? She is fairly feathered but still needs some heat I assume.

What can I treat this with? Peroxide once then leave it? Some say blue food coloring to deter others say that makes them a target.

I turned the light off and they all tucked in under the brooder plate for the night.

I noticed more fast running and flying today they are gaining energy and having growth spurts.

I will pull thru older posts I'm sure this is asked many times already.

We have rooster poles, mirrors in there I will add sticks and make a few hide a boxes and try to hang things from the top.

I will add red dots everywhere too.

TIA!
20220505_222055.jpg
20220505_222023.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom