HELP - Pekin bantam won't go to bed in coop - at the end of my rope

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Aussie new mum, Dec 22, 2008.

1. Aussie new mum

Aussie new mum Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2008
    Brisbane, Queensland
    I have an 18 week old pekin bantam I got when she was 6 weeks old. The other one is 12 months old. The younger one had been going to roost on the car (the carport is just a couple of meters from the coop) so I locked them both in the coop for a few days. I let them out to free range again and she started putting herself to bed in the coop. She suddenly stopped again and I had to go and get her and put her in the coop. Both chickens seem to be getting along fine. A tree fell on our house a week ago and I had to move the coop (only 3 meters from where it was) so I built a temp run and left them both in for 2 days. Let them out and young one went to carport again so I put the run back up and left them both in there for 5 days. I let them out today and the young one went to bed on the car in the carport. Is there anything else I can do? Do I need to leave them locked up longer? Please any help would be appreciated as I worry if I am not home by dusk to put her to bed she may not be safe. Not a lot of predators as I am in Qld Aust but still a worry.

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I would try locking them up again, this time for a little bit longer. That should help !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by