Help. Pipped egg left out alone all day by hen-PICS post #23!

seminolewind

Flock Mistress
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Sep 6, 2007
Corydon, Indiana
My hen had a chick yesterday. Today, there's a pipped egg-I can see the beak. The hen left the nest with chick, but stayed out quite a while, and the pipped egg sat alone at 90 degrees, and about 55% humidity. It pipped this morning. Should I helP?

Last edited:
I'm so sad for you. Shrink wrapped is bad. Very bad... When you peeled the shell, did it bleed? If not, you may be OK...

It did bleed.
sad.png

Quote:
Sem its ok as long as you stopped peeling when it bled-it should stop on its own in bator--as long as the chick has a air hole to breath out of your still in the running for a live chick to hatch out...

If you rworried about humidity and shrink warpping I have had to deal with this moe times than I ever expected too:-( I take a washcloth and get water the same temp as bator-I use a thermometer to test it-then wrap the egg in it-leaving all exposed chick open to the air-I have even wetted with my finger with the warm water and wet the membrane thats exposed to help losen it up.... Im hoping you wont have to tdo that and that little bugger will get out on its own!

Okay, Nat. I put the egg on a really wrung out wash cloth in the bator with high humidity and took a q-tip and wet the membrane.

Now she's wiggling around and peeping, so there's hope! And there's plenty of shell removed so she can expand moreso inside the membrane.

Quote:
ok now let it go on her own. It takes them alot of strength to push around for a bit then take LOONG breaks in between.. patience-it sounds like she'll be good on her own:)

Back
Top Bottom