Help! Pipped egg was crushed by hen.

juliechick

Transplanted Hillbilly
11 Years
Jun 27, 2008
Southeast AR
Should I help the baby out. It's breathing and tweeting. I'm afraid it may dry out and not be able to hatch, but what if it hasn't absorbed the yolk all the way. What should I do? I took it out from under the hen and have it under a heat lamp with a wet sponge and I've put a tiny bit of water on the exposed membrane.

Just a tiny bit under the membrane. It's still breathing and peeping now (at 3:37). I guess I'll leave it in the wet washcloth under the lamp. How long do you think I should wait to help it or should I help at all?

I had a similar situation with a chick a few years ago. I had the same worries, and decided to help the chick out. It died shortly after. I was heartbroken, and felt terribly guilty. If I could do it over, I would do what you're doing now. Lots of moisture, and lots of warmth. Hopefully mother nature will take care of the rest. Good luck.

The chick is out of the egg. My ds decided he needed to help it while I was outside. Good news is, the chick is trying to lift it's head, wobbling around and tweeting. It still isn't opening it's eyes much. It's also not getting fluffy. I wonder why. It's hatchmates under the hen are fluffing out pretty quickly.

I takes a while for them to fluff out especially if it dried out too much before it hatched. Just let it get it's land legs and hopefully it will be ok.

Good luck

It was cheeping while I was posting while ago. I went to check and it has it's eyes open and it seems to be looking for mama.
big_smile.png
We're calling it Survivor right now. I can't put him under mama because his backside is raw where he was attached to the egg. I put some neosporin on the site. He keeps cheeping. I may have to put a stuffed animal in with him/her.

i just had the same thing on friday, the membrane had dried out and i had to help hatch the chick and it wasn't warming/fluffing like the others, over an hour later was a little cool to the touch. i put on a thick warm robe and stuck the chick against my skin, under my robe and it took 4 hours but it is now the most active and robust of my chicks. good luck.

Back
Top Bottom