HELP PLEASE! 1 day old chick not eating or drinking?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by greenhead, Mar 26, 2010.

1. greenhead

greenhead In the Brooder

Jan 25, 2009
    my daughter had her first egg hatch out of the bator yesterday afternoon. we let the little guy dry out and then put it in a very small cat kennel with a heat lamp. we put water and starter grower in there but it seems that it is not eating or drinking? any help would be appreciated.

2. Chickenteacher

Chickenteacher Songster

Mar 13, 2009
    Patterson, Louisiana
    It doesn't need to eat for the first 24 - 36 hours....it absorbs the last of the yolk before it hatches and that tides it over......which is why they can ship just hatched chicks..... if you're really worried, dip its little beak in the water just to make sure it knows where it is.....and tap your finger at the food, like the momma would do....[​IMG]

3. greenhead

greenhead In the Brooder

Jan 25, 2009
    thank you for the advice.

4. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Try dipping his beak in the water, but he may not be hungry if he might not be hungry yet. Don't forget he ate his yolk sac right before he hatched. He may not be hungry yet but keep offering him food.[​IMG]

5. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Dip your finger into the water, hold your finger next to the chicks beak so the drop of water touches the beak, if thirsty they will drink. They then will usually follow your finger to the water (I use my finger nail). I do the same with food, tap with your finger nail.

Make sure there is enough light in your carrier - if it is dusky, not bright the chick will try to sleep most of the time. You can also spread chick starter on the floor of the brooder.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: