HELP PLEASE 3 day old Silkie Chick Slipped Tendon

Gammas Bearded Babies

Crossing the Road
May 24, 2021
Middle Tennessee
I have a 3 day old silkie bantam chick that I treated for splay leg on day 2...after right foot was still continuing to stick straight up this morning and further research I believe it has a slipped tendon and possibly a tiny bone coming through the skin at hock joint as of this morning. I noticed this morning it also was not trying to hop over to water n food as much.
At first it did take the dropper of vit B complex mixed with water. I struggled to get it to take nutridrench.
Earlier today I massaged the area and it seemed to relax once I possibly got the tendon back into place and set.
It is in a straw splint and hanging in a swing so to speak.
I ended up getting nutridrench all in its eye and what not. I did water in its eye to try n fix that...so it did its mouth opening for a whole and shaking head.
Video 1
Video 2 is bout 30 mins later it seems to have calmed down and sleeping peaceful.
Based on all this info and Video 1&2
Would yall cull this lil baby or continue with treatment I described above?

THIS Video is PRIOR to today's splinting for frame of reference to how it was yesterday.

Last edited:
Hey there! Similar situation here that was touch and go but turned out ok. I have linked my post here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...-now-leg-badly-swollen.1511472/#post-25406797
That is awesome that it worked out!
Unfortunately limited responses on byc and only one vet willing to even look at it said that silkie bantam was too small to try and fix so after seeing it lose weight and suffering I had to put lil baby down. I sure hated it but it was suffering pretty bad since I had splint it and foot doubled in size.
For future reference I believe it would have done just fine as a little house pet before I had tried to splint the leg. As it was up moving around eating drinking just fine...but the hobble then the splint really did not help in this instance.

Back
Top Bottom